Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Help me buy A Graphics card please (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/33793-help-me-buy-graphics-card-please.html)

Josheh July 1, 2010 06:11 AM

Help me buy A Graphics card please

Hey guys, Can you please help me decide what the better graphics card is etc etc at the moment, And why?

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz
RAM: Normal 4gb Ram
MOTHER BOARD: GIGABYTE S-Series EP43-DS3L
GRAPHICS: (((WAS))) Nvidia 9800gx2 Graphics Card It's now dead.
PSU: Toughpower 750w PSU
Screen: Full HD 23" Monitor I think

I'm thinking about the ATI 5850, or 5870, My Budget is around $400 AU, So American probably 380 or so?

I'm so stuck betwen if the two, And if there's anything else out at the moment, I don't mind waiting a month or so if something new is coming out, But not really much longer than that...

Thanks this website looks great, I've been using the CPU charts etc for a while now. =)

P.S. I'm not expecting too overclock anything, Upgrade cpu anytime soon, Etc etc so if that counts for anything... :)

SKYMTL July 1, 2010 06:21 AM

First of all, is there no chance of an RMA on that dead card?

Josheh July 1, 2010 06:24 AM

Thanks for the reply mate, Sorry my ignorance, But What is RMA?

If it's warrenty, Then nah, I brought it second hand, but the comp shop and the old owner made a deal and let me extend his warrenty over too me, And even then it was early ish in 2008, So I'm pretty sure there's no chance in that... :(

I'll have a look around for the receipt and find out, Not sure how long that would take though.

Digikid July 1, 2010 06:32 AM

RMA means Return to Manufacturers Address. It means to send back the card for replacement.

Get the 5850 and OC it to 5870 Levels. I recommend XFX above all other brands.

I know that the Nvidia boys will be here soon so I will tell you this....if you LIKE a power sucking heater in your PC then by all means get a 4xx series GeForce. LOL!!!!!

Josheh July 1, 2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digikid (Post 398250)
RMA means Return to Manufacturers Address. It means to send back the card for replacement.

Get the 5850 and OC it to 5870 Levels. I recommend XFX above all other brands.

I know that the Nvidia boys will be here soon so I will tell you this....if you LIKE a power sucking heater in your PC then by all means get a 4xx series GeForce. LOL!!!!!

I'll be ignoring all fanboys so that's fine!

Yeah I was thinking about doing that, But I have the money and I reaaaaally don't want to O.C. and even If i can O.C, I could buy a 5870 and O.C. that too higher anyway couldn't I?

Price isn't really an issue as long as it's under that $400 budget, And if on stock levels ones better than the other etc, It's so hard to decide!

I can't find anything even by Nvidia around the same price... But they do have some 470 for the same price, But any chart shows the 5870 topping it, and sometimes even the 5850, And it's the price of the 5870. But it does have 1.2gb ram on it ?.... Gahh I'm pretty sure the NVIDIA cards in that price range are pretty shit huh? Why isn't there any more competiton this time round? I did this 2 years ago, And there was heaps of cards to choose, Now theres barely any.. (Fanboys pee off, I'm just saying it how it is)

AkG July 1, 2010 06:59 AM

What is the manufacturer of your card? I wouldnt give up ALL hope of no warranty yet. If it is an XFX for example it has "double lifetime" warranty and by the sounds of it where "let me extend(ed) his warranty over too me" you might still be able to get a replacement (2nd owner also gets lifetime warranty and only if you are the THIRD owner would you be out of luck). IF it is a couple others that have lifetime and you can talk to the original owner...you might also be good. I would seriously look into it before spenidng any money. Unless you want to get a better card ;)

Josheh July 1, 2010 07:54 AM

It's a Inno3D® GeForce™ 9800GX2 thank you. :)

Annnyway, all the warrenty crap aside, What card Should I look at ? What should I do? Games like Mafia 2 etc having physx and the coat swaying and dabris etc being physx, Some might think is lame, But it adds that bit more awesome too it, If you walk down a street your coat sways from physx, What will it do on an ATI card? Just be still ? I hate NVIDIA for doing this, Such a BS move, I hate fanboys and blocking other people off from enjoying the game the same amount, It's all so geeky.

I need some opinions thanks!

SKYMTL July 1, 2010 08:40 AM

I'm going to say one of two cards:

HD 5850

or

GTX 470

If PhysX really has you by the horns, then go for the NVIDIA card but just be aware that it consumes a lot more power but it does provide additional graphics horsepower. It is however also important to remember that the number of games released with PhysX are few and far between.

_dangtx_ July 1, 2010 09:05 AM

brand new 5850, used 5870 if you can find an xfx or such

Josheh July 1, 2010 09:07 AM

Thanks, So you don't think a 5870 is worth the extra $100? Should I buy the 5850 and a new tower instead? "My tower now is oldish" Hmm... Or just the 1 5870. Why do you guys choose the 5850 over the 5870 may I ask?

If I get the 5850, Theres these options:

ASUS 1GB 5850 PCI-E VGA Card
Price:$372.00

Gigabyte 1GB 5850 PCI-E VGA Card
Price:$353.00

HIS 1GB 5850 PCI-E VGA Card
Price:$339.00

Powercolor 1GB 5850 PCI-E VGA Card
Price:$339.00

If I was going to pay $370 for the 5850, I'd rather pay the extra $50 and get this:

Powercolor 1GB 5870 PCI-E VGA Card
Price:$429.00

But if i was going to get the 5850, I reckon I'd just go with a Powercolour 5850 for $340, Thoughts? And why Go for the 5850 ?