Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

ATI and NVIDIA have very little to do with the aspect ratio issues that crop up on certain games. Blame that on the developers. Plus, like I said, the "fish eye" effect is made to preserve the image. HOWEVER, there are certain games (like Dirt 2 and BF:BC 2) that have it to the extreme which is NOT correct.

I am using Acer GD235HZ monitors.

For strategy games, it is best not to use the "stretch" function and it eliminates the fish-eye effect but it kills perspective in FPS and racing games.
Old June 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
ATI and NVIDIA have very little to do with the aspect ratio issues that crop up on certain games. Blame that on the developers. Plus, like I said, the "fish eye" effect is made to preserve the image. HOWEVER, there are certain games (like Dirt 2 and BF:BC 2) that have it to the extreme which is NOT correct.

I am using Acer GD235HZ monitors.

For strategy games, it is best not to use the "stretch" function and it eliminates the fish-eye effect but it kills perspective in FPS and racing games.
The fisheye effect isn't exactly to preserve the image, and it has nothing to do with lining things up. It's just how the camera works. It is simulating what you would see out of your eyes as the angle increases, and if you position yourself properly in front of the monitors and stare directly at the center monitor, the side monitors will correctly display what you would see in your peripheral vision.

As for certain games taking it to an extreme, that's probably just because the FOV is incorrect. I don't know about DIRT 2, but with BC2 it's easy to manually set an FOV that you will feel comfortable with.
Old June 26, 2010, 09:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
As for certain games taking it to an extreme, that's probably just because the FOV is incorrect. I don't know about DIRT 2, but with BC2 it's easy to manually set an FOV that you will feel comfortable with.
DiRT 2 has the option but it is best not to touch it since it messes with some menus. The BF:BC2 .ini FOV modifier unfortunately makes some single player missions (like the tank mission mid way through the game) unplayable.

Anyways, I totally understand about the "perspective" ratio but my point is that I FEEL it is unneeded simply because those two viewports are in your peripheral vision anyways so there is no need to emphasize perspective. It is distracting to the extreme when you see an enemy right beside you only to spin around and find him actually 20 feet away.

But like I said from the beginning: this is my personal opinion.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:20 PM
Banned
F@H

*prepares popcorn in advance for the actual thing followed by the commentaries..:)
Old June 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The BF:BC2 .ini FOV modifier unfortunately makes some single player missions (like the tank mission mid way through the game) unplayable.
I haven't spent more than 5 minutes in the single-player campaign, but I can see where you're coming from.
Quote:
Anyways, I totally understand about the "perspective" ratio but my point is that I FEEL it is unneeded simply because those two viewports are in your peripheral vision anyways so there is no need to emphasize perspective. It is distracting to the extreme when you see an enemy right beside you only to spin around and find him actually 20 feet away.

But like I said from the beginning: this is my personal opinion.
My point is that there's nothing forced or emphasized about it. All that's happening is that a certain angle is being plugged into the camera and what you see is what you get. There are no special settings or anything being applied other than an increase in FOV. Maybe you just don't like the way it looks, but that's the nature of it.
Old June 27, 2010, 01:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've read most 3d engines get the fish eye effect because they weren't designed with such large aspect ratios in mind.
It seems most people would prefer it didn't happen.

Old June 27, 2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

ME WANT!!!!
Old June 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
Rookie

Sorry to hijack or go off topic but:

SKY; Where did you get that mount and how big are those monitors?

EVERYONE: Anybody know of a good place to buy a mount that's gonna support 3 22" LCD?

Thanks! :P
Old June 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

These are the monitors.

NCIX.com - Buy Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1DC 2MS DVI HDMI - ET.UG5HP.001 In Canada.

I think this is the stand.
Ergotron 33-323-200 DS100 Triple-Monitor Desk Stand

Ergotron DS100 Triple-Monitor Desk Stand 33-323-200 - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices

I've been drooling over it.

Old June 28, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rookie

r0bc: Ergotron's site says: LCD Size lesser than or equal to 21"! Argh :p