Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2010, 03:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks, I did actually just find that in the manual :)
The way I read it though is that I'll need to put the main card 5970 in the blue (top) X16 slot and the 4650 in the other slot and that the 5970 will run at X16 and the 4650 at X8
Is that correct?
Old June 24, 2010, 03:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZDuke View Post
Thanks, I did actually just find that in the manual :)
The way I read it though is that I'll need to put the main card 5970 in the blue (top) X16 slot and the 4650 in the other slot and that the 5970 will run at X16 and the 4650 at X8
Is that correct?
No, that is not correct. If both slots are used, they will both run at 8x. If one slot is used, it will run at 16x. You can run either card in either slot and it will not make a difference.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, that is not correct. If both slots are used, they will both run at 8x. If one slot is used, it will run at 16x. You can run either card in either slot and it will not make a difference.

I must have looked up the board wrong, I though it was 16X/4X split.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 25, 2010, 03:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

So I guess the next question would be: Will adding in a second card to drive a 4th (2nd) monitor negatively impact the performance of my 5970 (4Gb) as opposed to just running the card alone at 16X ?
Will I see a big difference performance wise when it's running at 8X ?
If so, I guess I could dig around for an older PCI card which would not effect the PCIE bandwidth at all .... correct ?
BTW ... Thanks so much for the quick and intelligent responses already received, I really appreciate it :)
Old June 25, 2010, 07:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZDuke View Post
So I guess the next question would be: Will adding in a second card to drive a 4th (2nd) monitor negatively impact the performance of my 5970 (4Gb) as opposed to just running the card alone at 16X ?
Will I see a big difference performance wise when it's running at 8X ?
If so, I guess I could dig around for an older PCI card which would not effect the PCIE bandwidth at all .... correct ?
BTW ... Thanks so much for the quick and intelligent responses already received, I really appreciate it :)
Going off the top of my head I don't think with such a high powered card that running it 8x vs 16x is going to seriously impact your performance. Perhaps a few FPS but I doubt you would even notice.

The PCI-e Bandwidth restriction is based on how the slots are populated. Not the power of the card.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 25, 2010, 07:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks again man. Now I'll just have to see if it will physically fit .... lol .... This 5970 is a freakin monster !