Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2010, 09:00 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

What happened to the Earthwatts? Of course the Power King is garbage and should be replaced, but I thought you already took care of that.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
What happened to the Earthwatts?
+1

You previously posted you were running a 650W Earthwatts; which is a great quality PSU. That's more that enough to run your 4890.

As for the sales guy trying to talk you in to an 850W PSU... that's ludicrous! You could run XFire 5870's on that. He's just trying to make a buck off your desperation. I would actually avoid whatever store that is from now on, as they've proven that they don't know what they're talking about.

Stay away from Tom's while you're at it...

Another question I have is (and this seems to be a reoccurring theme the last little while with newbie builders) Did you plug in the CPU power lead when you installed the new PSU? Failing to do this will usually result in similar issues as you're seeing; with all the system fans powering on (including GPU fan), and getting a 'beep' from the motherboard, but no display or actual boot.
And have you swapped your old video card back in since installing the new power supply to make sure the PSU is installed correctly?

*EDIT*
Also, has your system turned on since installing the new RAM? I've seen system's fail to boot when all RAM slots are populated. The fix for this is usually a slight voltage bump to your N.Bridge.
Old July 10, 2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

A Power Supply isn't going to fry a video card. At least, that would be news to me...

Either A) your connections were incorrect or B) video card is defective OR C) motherboard problem

Take the video card into another store to confirm.
Old July 10, 2010, 12:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
A Power Supply isn't going to fry a video card. At least, that would be news to me...
Of course a faulty power supply can fry a video card, just like it can fry anything it's connected to.
Old July 10, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a boot failure flow chart for ya....should keep you busy for awhile.

Attachment 10967

Last edited by stoanee; August 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old July 10, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post
OK, I bought that Earthwatt 650w Antec power supply, but I'm getting the same thing. It still seems it is not getting enough power. This really sucks, I should have bought a more powerful power supply. It turns out this one is too weak. Very bad recommendation, I'm out $100 now.

What you talking about, I posted the EA650 was because its a proven solid PSU and were on sale for $59.99

Anyways, it could be a fried memory controller due to adding that extra ram. Just use 1 stick of ram for now and try again or what you can also do is run your rams at the lowest possible speed. If it still does not post I think its a faulty GPU.
Old July 10, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As others have said. I would say memory, or dead video card. Try going back to just the memory you originally had in the computer.

You may have already answered this (not sure), but have you tried booting up with your old video card? Putting the computer back to original video card and memory with the new PSU would ensure that everything other than the video card is still working correctly.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:53 PM
Rookie

The extra 2gb of RAM was added awhile back, it was running on Win XP 32 bit before that hard drive failed and I bought Win 7 and a new drive. It has always had 2 sticks of RAM, and it has had 4gb for some time, I doubt RAM is an issue.

The Earthwatt got sent back, I thought it lacked power and it made an annoying buzzing noise anyways, so I don't miss it, I'll buy another.

All the plugs are in from the power supply, the 4 pin in the motherboard and the big connector. I made sure to note where they all were plugged in to when I upgraded the power supply the first time.

I am currently running on my old graphics card, the Radeon 1650. That's what this computer came with. It's slow, and must be replaced with something, anything.
Old July 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post
The extra 2gb of RAM was added awhile back, it was running on Win XP 32 bit before that hard drive failed and I bought Win 7 and a new drive. It has always had 2 sticks of RAM, and it has had 4gb for some time, I doubt RAM is an issue.

The Earthwatt got sent back, I thought it lacked power and it made an annoying buzzing noise anyways, so I don't miss it, I'll buy another.

All the plugs are in from the power supply, the 4 pin in the motherboard and the big connector. I made sure to note where they all were plugged in to when I upgraded the power supply the first time.

I am currently running on my old graphics card, the Radeon 1650. That's what this computer came with. It's slow, and must be replaced with something, anything.
If you are running fine now with the Radeon 1650 then it has to be the 4890. Either the Power King killed it originally or it was DOA to begin with. I would RMA the 4890 as soon as possible.
Old July 11, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
If you are running fine now with the Radeon 1650 then it has to be the 4890. Either the Power King killed it originally or it was DOA to begin with. I would RMA the 4890 as soon as possible.
True story