Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2010, 05:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post
After looking in to this more, it seems I needed a 12v rail with more amps, not 3 12v rails with lower amps. The Power King has 30 amps on the 12v rail, and that Earthwatt had 22a, 22a, and 25a. So I'm going to go with one that is certified by AMD, which is what I should have done in the first place.
You don't know what you are talking about do you? The total amps for that Antec 650W is 45amps spread across the three +12V rails which is more than enough power for the 4890. Look at the box of the Antec PSU, it clearly shows 540W output on the three rails. To calculate the total amps on a split +12V rail, take the output for the rails (in this case 540w) and divide it by 12. You will get 45 which is the total amps for this unit. No single GPU out requires more than 45 amps, so like others have said it is not the PSU causing the issues you are experiencing.

So yes, that Antec has more amps on the +12V Rail than that "Power King"...

Last edited by Smoothie; July 9, 2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old July 9, 2010, 06:31 PM
Rookie

Well, does anyone here know what they are talking about? I will post this again, here:

I am trying to upgrade my video card, but I am having difficulties. I have an Acer Aspire E380 with a Radeon 1650SE video card, and a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor. Here are the base stats for the Acer:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/ [...] 0sp2.shtml

I have added a 650w PowerKing power supply, another 2 gb of ddr2 ram, and it is running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

When the Radeon 4890 is put in the machine it takes awhile to boot. I notice 3 red lights flashing above where the two 6-pin connectors are plugged in. The computer eventually boots, but the monitor is blank and the power button is blinking as though it's on standby. There is no picture.
I bought a pci-e adapter that uses two 4-pin molex and turns them in to one 6-pin pci-e plug. I noticed these things only have 5 actual pins, as I bought several since I thought the first one was defective and missing a pin. I'm not sure if that is the problem. When I unplug one 6-pin adapter plug and boot it up, it boots the same as if both were plugged in, it eventually loads a blank screen. I left the other 6-pin connector from the power supply plugged in.

I figured it was either the power supply or the motherboard. Or maybe the card just doesn't work.
Old July 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah I would have to say that is clearly a bad video card. Given that after the adventures of the thread it is clearly not the PS.
Old July 9, 2010, 09:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post
Well, does anyone here know what they are talking about? I will post this again, here:

I am trying to upgrade my video card, but I am having difficulties. I have an Acer Aspire E380 with a Radeon 1650SE video card, and a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor. Here are the base stats for the Acer:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/ [...] 0sp2.shtml

I have added a 650w PowerKing power supply, another 2 gb of ddr2 ram, and it is running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

When the Radeon 4890 is put in the machine it takes awhile to boot. I notice 3 red lights flashing above where the two 6-pin connectors are plugged in. The computer eventually boots, but the monitor is blank and the power button is blinking as though it's on standby. There is no picture.
I bought a pci-e adapter that uses two 4-pin molex and turns them in to one 6-pin pci-e plug. I noticed these things only have 5 actual pins, as I bought several since I thought the first one was defective and missing a pin. I'm not sure if that is the problem. When I unplug one 6-pin adapter plug and boot it up, it boots the same as if both were plugged in, it eventually loads a blank screen. I left the other 6-pin connector from the power supply plugged in.

I figured it was either the power supply or the motherboard. Or maybe the card just doesn't work.
Molex to PCI-E adapters only have 5 wires. That is normal and will not cause any problems.

Have you confirmed the card is working? Did you try it in another computer to see if the same issue will occur?
Old July 9, 2010, 09:50 PM
Rookie

I do not have another computer to test it in or I would. If I find anyone with a more modern computer than mine I will test it out.
Old July 9, 2010, 10:25 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Well, the only way to really narrow down the problem is to test other hardware. See if you can find someone with a computer you can use to test with.
Old July 10, 2010, 01:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a feeling its a bad video card. Just to reassure you that a power supply is not the problem, I ran an i7 and a 4890 on Corsair 450VX PSU for a few months, it was running fine so lack of power is definitely not an issue with your system. Since you've had a video card in their previously I doubt it is your motherboard.

Others will have to verify this and is a pure shot in the dark but is it possible the motherboard can't supply enough power through the pcie slot itself (eps is not plugged in or there just isn't one?) but on the other hand with 2-6pins providing power this shouldnt be happening. All in all, there is most likely a problem with the card itself.
Reading from newegg reviews Customer Reviews Of PowerKing PSPK650 650W ATX12V Power Supply I wonder if the PSU toasted your card based on the last review.

Old July 10, 2010, 05:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Sounds like a dead Video Card to me. I highly doubt its the motherboard. You said you added 2GB of DDR2, what kit did you add?
Old July 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
Rookie

What kit? I added another couple 1gb sticks, they were OEM, no brand name on them.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:23 AM
Rookie

Well, I'm thinking of getting another video card, maybe around $100. But after reading those reviews of the 650w Power King it seems I should probably get another power supply.. I didn't realize it kills video cards.