Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2010, 06:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Something isn't right if a 650 Earthwatt's isnt' powering your system for sure.

Heck a VX450 would do it no issues there.

Are you plugging in both PCI-e Connectors into the Videocard? What exacally is happening that makes you feel it isn't getting enough power?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 5, 2010, 02:22 PM
Rookie

Yeah, both plugs were in there. It does the same thing it does if I only plug one plug in. It simply isn't getting enough power. A 750w Earthwatt would have done fine, but the 650w one was too weak so I had to RMA it.

After looking in to this more, it seems I needed a 12v rail with more amps, not 3 12v rails with lower amps. The Power King has 30 amps on the 12v rail, and that Earthwatt had 22a, 22a, and 25a. So I'm going to go with one that is certified by AMD, which is what I should have done in the first place.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:33 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post
Yeah, both plugs were in there. It does the same thing it does if I only plug one plug in. It simply isn't getting enough power. A 750w Earthwatt would have done fine, but the 650w one was too weak so I had to RMA it.

After looking in to this more, it seems I needed a 12v rail with more amps, not 3 12v rails with lower amps. The Power King has 30 amps on the 12v rail, and that Earthwatt had 22a, 22a, and 25a. So I'm going to go with one that is certified by AMD, which is what I should have done in the first place.
You aren't really listening to the people in this thread. 650W is plenty of power. Hell a 650W Earthwatt can power two HD4890s without any issues. Definitely something else is the issue here.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You aren't really listening to the people in this thread. 650W is plenty of power. Hell a 650W Earthwatt can power two HD4890s without any issues. Definitely something else is the issue here.
This.
If a 650W earthwatts can't power it, nothing can. Either it's a PEBKAC or your mobo is crapping out.
Old July 5, 2010, 03:40 PM
Banned
F@H

even a good 500 watter will do the jobbe.
Old July 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What do you mean by "not powerful enough"?

Does the computer POST (beep) when you turn it on? Did you remove the previous drivers?

-Plato
Old July 5, 2010, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As others have said. The earthwatts is definitely more than enough power. If you feel the need to try a single rail PSU, go ahead, but it will not make a difference.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old July 5, 2010, 07:37 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post

I am running two GTX 260s, a GT 240, and the system containing them off a 520W Corsair PSU. In case you didn't catch it the first time:

Power is not your problem. Something else is causing the issue. Give us more details so we can help you instead of just blaming it on the power supply which has nothing to do with it anyway.
Old July 8, 2010, 09:10 PM
Rookie

So what you're saying is I need a Corsair power supply?

OK, so before I found this forum I posted my problem on another forum and they all said it was my power supply. Here's the link to my post which explains my problem:

Having trouble with a Radeon 4890 - ATI - Graphic-Displays

That one guy said he couldn't get a 4870 to work with 30 amps on the 12v rail, so that convinced me it must be the power supply. Do any of you have a 4890 running on any of your systems?

The dealer that sold me this card said to go with a 800w power supply.
Old July 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

See, the problem there is that you posted on the Tom's Hardware forum, also known as one of the cesspools of the internet. In fact, I think it's pretty safe to say that everyone who replied to you there either didn't know what they were talking about or was just an outright moron. Although it is good that you purchased a quality PSU, the EA650 definitely has enough power for your needs. If you would actually give us some details about your problem, then we could help you actually figure out what is causing it. But we're going to need some more information before we can give you useful advice.