Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Speed View Post
I almost got a 470 instead of the 5850 I have now. 3D was the main reason I wanted to go for it. If you want to go 3D I'd go all the way, with the shutter glasses and everything. I went for the 5850 because of the cost of a 3D monitor, a 470, and that 3D kit. I feel a little regret, but if I did spend all of that money I'd probably regret that a lot more. If you don't mind spending the money on it, I'd go for it. Also, 3D doesn't give me headaches or anything, but I know a lot of people who do get them.
This was probably the biggest turning point of considering getting a 470 or not. I'm definitely not going to get it since it is agreeable that 3d gaming is going to be expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya
If you're really just getting a card to game with, I'd say go for the 5850, if Folding is important and you can afford ~5-15 bucks a month on your power bill+potential aftermarket cooling costs, (depends on your pricing/usage) get the 470.
Thank you, i needed something that translated to how much it would cost per month if i were to fold constantly.

I will shifting my eyes towards the 5850 and completely forget about the 470 =P... now I need to know which manufacturer I should go for... (i want/PREFER to go for a reference design and no red or green pcb)

so far I have picked out the following:

ASUS DirectCU HD5850 - i REALLY like this one for some reason (mainly aesthetics)

XFX HD5850 XXX -

Sapphire HD5850 -

Diamond HD5850 -

Gigabyte HD 5850 - i don't mind this one

Powercolor HD 5850 -

Thanks

Last edited by feerof; June 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Uh you don't really know that much about this stuff do you...

All reference ATI 5850s (the ones with the batman shroud with a single fan and running at 725/1000) are all identical besides warranty and a few freebies like Dirt 2 or stickers. Half of the cards you've listed (like the Gigabyte and Asus) are not reference cards.

It doesn't matter which brand you get when it comes to reference designs - the only thing that honestly matters is how much warranty do you want and do you want Dirt 2.
Old June 20, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go with the XFX. It's reference design, but it's overclocked, and about the same price as everything else. Double lifetime warranty is a plus too. Upon double checking though, the XFX is out of stock. If you feel like you could wait a bit, I'd say go for that.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 20, 2010, 10:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaplant View Post
Uh you don't really know that much about this stuff do you...

oppsies, what a good slip up =P, i should say i prefer reference designs, but yes i didn't really do my research

And nevermind, i think i've figured out which one I would want to buy, thanks guys

Last edited by feerof; June 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'd definitely go with the reference design too.

Ive heard that they tend to OC a bit better than many of the cheaper non-reference 5850's. Anyway the 5850 is good value for sure and pretty powerful. Great to be able to get strong gaming cards for these prices.

I remember how much the performance cards were about 3-5 years ago-pretty scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Go with the XFX. It's reference design, but it's overclocked, and about the same price as everything else. Double lifetime warranty is a plus too. Upon double checking though, the XFX is out of stock. If you feel like you could wait a bit, I'd say go for that.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's gonna be hard to find a reference card at retail. I'm only seeing mostly non-reference 5850's now. The reason why they tend to OC higher magictorch is because you are able to overvolt the card using the Volterra chips. I think the only reference design one that was linked was the XFX one and possibly that Diamond one. I doubt if they're going to bring more stock in for that XFX one, maybe though. I would just try and find the cheapest non-reference card. You can still OC it you just can't overvolt...

Here's a really good price on a brand new 5850: Xfx Radeon Hd 5850 1gb Ddr5 | HD-583X-ZAFV | Canada's best price

Not sure if you can get NCIX to pricematch, but hopefully! If you live in Mississauga you could pick it up lol. If not here's the cheapest price I found from a major e-tailer: Newegg.ca - XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Old June 21, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Either card is a good choice. As far as physx Mafia 2 looks pretty sweet. As far as 3D yes it is expensive to get a decent monitor and glasses but it is worth it in my opinion if you have the dough.

Either card will be a good choice.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Easy decision, 5850 all the way :) Here are the reasons:
3D- Nvidia go on and on about this, stereoscopic glasses cost a bomb and they cause headaches and eye fatigue and then you need a compatible monitor which is just as overpriced as a GTX470. If you really want 3D Zalman are releasing a new 3D solution with monitors that, according to reviewers, are alot better since the depth is actually outside the monitor and it uses relatively inexpensive glasses.
PhysX- Has hardly any compatible games and really isn't worth the price premium, unless one of the few compatible games happens to be your favourite
Eyefinity- Way better than 3D
Power consumption and heat- The 5850 uses less power and runs alot cooler than a GTX470
Price: The 5850 is cheaper
Overclocking: An overclocked 5850 will EASILY outperform a stock GTX470 and even kills of a 5870 (if you're willing to go extreme). Heres a link "Hidden Threat": ATI Radeon HD 5850 Graphics Card Review - X-bit labs

Have fun deciding!

EDIT: Btw, I have a Powercolour 5850 based on ATI's reference model, i can confirm its a decent card, good overclocking headroom with decent temps and great stability
Old June 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lKashl View Post
Easy decision, 5850 all the way :) Here are the reasons:
3D- Nvidia go on and on about this, stereoscopic glasses cost a bomb and they cause headaches and eye fatigue and then you need a compatible monitor which is just as overpriced as a GTX470. If you really want 3D Zalman are releasing a new 3D solution with monitors that, according to reviewers, are alot better since the depth is actually outside the monitor and it uses relatively inexpensive glasses.
PhysX- Has hardly any compatible games and really isn't worth the price premium, unless one of the few compatible games happens to be your favourite
Eyefinity- Way better than 3D
Power consumption and heat- The 5850 uses less power and runs alot cooler than a GTX470
Price: The 5850 is cheaper
Overclocking: An overclocked 5850 will EASILY outperform a stock GTX470 and even kills of a 5870 (if you're willing to go extreme). Heres a link "Hidden Threat": ATI Radeon HD 5850 Graphics Card Review - X-bit labs

Have fun deciding!

EDIT: Btw, I have a Powercolour 5850 based on ATI's reference model, i can confirm its a decent card, good overclocking headroom with decent temps and great stability

sweettt.... i think i'll go for the powercooler one for sure now =P
Old June 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

XFX are the better ones IMHO with a MUCH superior warranty and product. Go with XFX.

But yes....5850 for sure!!!!!