Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2010, 04:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Just like how reviewers don't enable Eyefinity in benchmarking (to make nVidia look better than they are)
Honestly, I think the OP already has his heart set on something, and it's not particularly the 5850...(but I'd encourage the 5850)
Yea I guess you're right, but eyefinity is more of a unique feature of ati and there's nothing to compare it to other than other ati cards. Nvidia's coming up with surround gaming too I believe,they haven't released it yet.

Helix good point other previous gen cards don't support tesselation, but still it'd be nice to see this generation's cards put to tesselation tests just by themselves more often.
Old June 19, 2010, 04:37 PM
Top Prospect

But PhysX is a unique feature and there's nothing to compare it to other than other nVidia cards. (although it's possible to use it, it's quite unrealistic)
Sorry, I just love putting my words in your context :D
So, how's the OP feel? -pssst...5850-
By the way, if you're playing at a higher resolution, the 5850 outperforms the 470. At lower resolutions, the 470 outperforms the 5850. So it depends on how you'll be gaming.
Old June 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

A lot of 470's OC very well and it translates into a big jump in frame rates. Once a 470 hits about 760 on the core it turns into a GTX 480 Even at 650 it gets quite a boost.

The 5850 is good value for money but to be honest the 470 is more of an overall competitor with the 5870 than the 5850 in more recent or very GPU demanding games.

You should really read SKY's review on the 470 if you want to get an idea of how the card scales at higher res. or tessellation. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Review.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; June 19, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
Banned
F@H

Old June 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

That's a huge difference in power consumption.
If you're not getting a pretty high wattage PSU, and plan to overclock and all the good stuff, power consumption will be important - don't want your brand new PSU making your case into a smoky environment.
Old June 19, 2010, 05:20 PM
Banned
F@H

per fps? yup. on paper i think it only eats...70 watts more? but those 70 watts do chime in when you see a graph like that.

liek dude above said, if you expect things like that but still want the performance? go for it

what pss me off is this : ok..nv took the crown back, but i really wished they would smack ati on power figures as well.

next refresh will be better. but if its just a catchup phase? not good enough. invest a couple more mills and get the dam furnace out the equation lol
!
Old June 19, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
While reading this, keep in mind I'm also somewhat nvidia 'biased' as people tell me, but I have my reasons...

gtx470 doesn't get incredibly hot, and it doesn't cost that much either. It consumes a bit more power, not sure if that's a big to you or not (probably not because you're building a high end pc that consumes so much that the difference is nothing). The 470 comes with a physx processor, 5850 does not. 5850 overclocks to [nearly] 5870 speeds, haven't heard how the 470 overclocks yet. The 5850 has a tiny hole in the back for exhaust, while the 470 has a entire pci slot. Biggest thing is that the 470 has a physx processor, and you don't get physx with ati unless you do it on a cpu that bottlenecks the entire system, or you crack the drivers (while getting headaches) and buy another $50 nvidia card. Oh and as for tesselation, ati's 5800's are a big flunk with it. Enabling tesselation puts a HUGE hit on ati, while nvidia's hit is much more reasonable. Just like how reviewers don't enable physx in benchmarking (to make ati look better than they are), they usually don't benchmark tesselation either because ati sucks so much with tesselation.

and about 3d, personally my eyes can't watch 3d with those colour filtering glasses. I haven't tried nvidia's 3d vision yet, but if you can, try it out first. If your eyes can watch stuff on it without stress, I'd say go for it. Everyone's different. I'd say get the 470 :)
I would consider the GPU and CPU the components that draw the most power in your system and the GPU would probably be pulling the most if we're talking higher end cards. I also had 0 headaches installing my 8800gt into my system using the 257.15 drivers for physx card. Although they will eventually become dated...
Old June 19, 2010, 05:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
While reading this, keep in mind I'm also somewhat nvidia 'biased' as people tell me, but I have my reasons...

gtx470 doesn't get incredibly hot, and it doesn't cost that much either. It consumes a bit more power, not sure if that's a big to you or not (probably not because you're building a high end pc that consumes so much that the difference is nothing). The 470 comes with a physx processor, 5850 does not. 5850 overclocks to [nearly] 5870 speeds, haven't heard how the 470 overclocks yet. The 5850 has a tiny hole in the back for exhaust, while the 470 has a entire pci slot. Biggest thing is that the 470 has a physx processor, and you don't get physx with ati unless you do it on a cpu that bottlenecks the entire system, or you crack the drivers (while getting headaches) and buy another $50 nvidia card. Oh and as for tesselation, ati's 5800's are a big flunk with it. Enabling tesselation puts a HUGE hit on ati, while nvidia's hit is much more reasonable. Just like how reviewers don't enable physx in benchmarking (to make ati look better than they are), they usually don't benchmark tesselation either because ati sucks so much with tesselation.

and about 3d, personally my eyes can't watch 3d with those colour filtering glasses. I haven't tried nvidia's 3d vision yet, but if you can, try it out first. If your eyes can watch stuff on it without stress, I'd say go for it. Everyone's different. I'd say get the 470 :)
Depends on the system really even for the 'cpu bottle necking' you are talking about. The i7 1366 dont really get bottle necked as they have 8 threads and seeing as most games dont even use 4 threads yet rest assure my pc doesn't get bottle necked if i enable physx on my cpu.
Old June 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Headshot, that was a fluke driver. ATI systems aren't supposed to take nvidia's physx candy it won't really give you headaches, but it'll still be a hassle to hack the drivers, and there could be complications I guess... either way, you still have to have the extra 8800gt. The 470 has everything on one pcb, only 2 slots instead of your 3. Now imagine combining the heat output of your primary card and that 8800gt's heat, would it be more than a 470? How about power consumption? adds up :)

Arinoth, that's an interesting find I never know that a i7 could handle physx. I have an i7 3.8ghz, I haven't tried running physx on it... I always had the impression that physx just wasn't efficient on regular cpu's
Old June 19, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ The OP's already stated he's building a "higher end" Rig...so obviously he's going to have a decent PSU......with that said even a lower end PSU is more than enough for a 470.....in most cases just about everybody building a new gaming Rig is going to go minimum 650W PSU...so really Power consumption is a moot point ;)