Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2010, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Default Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 2GB vs Toxic 2GB

Have a Toxic on order somewhere but they are out of stock... if I roll back to the Vapor-X what do I lose apart from some minor overclocks on the core and the memory? The Vapor-X is 2 cheaper than the Toxic so I'm guessing there isn't all that much difference?

I can find Vapor-X reviews and I can find Toxic reviews but the two always seem to use different test systems so the fps results aren't really comparable are they? I'm guessing there would only be 1 or 2 fps in it anyway and I'm planning to run everything at max 1920x1200 but kinda like the idea of the extra mem and don't intend to upgrade again for a few years at least.

It really is between these 2 cards - I want the best 5870 I can get that will last for a while... But the place I'm buying from literally has no idea when the Toxic will be back and they have "10+" Vapor-X in stock. Is there something inherently wrong with the latter that means people don't want them?
Old June 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't call the overclock difference minor. The Toxic is 925mhz vs. 850mhz on the Vapor-X. That's 9 percent higher on the Toxic than the Vapor-X, although you probably wouldn't see a 9% difference in frame rates between the two.

It depends on how badly you want the Toxic. I think they are limited in production numbers, because of the overclock. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Vapor-X editions at all.
Old June 17, 2010, 03:32 PM
Rookie

OK thank you, yes looking at the overclock again it isn't that minor at all. :) I do badly want the Toxic but am realising that I can make do with the Vapor-X (if I even need that). Thanks for the reply - maybe I wait til Monday to see if they will know when the Toxic will be in.