Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got a question here. Assuming I'm understanding time demos, game sequences, and in game benchmark correctly, each time you use the game sequences wouldn't the results be a bit different? Because not everything would remain the same, such as where you face, what's going on in the environment, etc. Like for example we use the opening of CoD:MW, you're put through a test to test your reflexes in a makeshift cargo ship where you have to shoot at pieces of wood, throw grenades, etc. Each time you do that, some things change, like where you shoot, where the grenade is thrown, which way you face. All this results in different FPS due to the different amount of work that the GPU needs to process.

Sorry if this is a poor question, but I can't really think of a better way to ask this right now.
Old June 17, 2010, 01:38 AM
Trial Member

nice review ... thanks .
Old June 17, 2010, 06:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I got a question here. Assuming I'm understanding time demos, game sequences, and in game benchmark correctly, each time you use the game sequences wouldn't the results be a bit different? Because not everything would remain the same, such as where you face, what's going on in the environment, etc. Like for example we use the opening of CoD:MW, you're put through a test to test your reflexes in a makeshift cargo ship where you have to shoot at pieces of wood, throw grenades, etc. Each time you do that, some things change, like where you shoot, where the grenade is thrown, which way you face. All this results in different FPS due to the different amount of work that the GPU needs to process.

Sorry if this is a poor question, but I can't really think of a better way to ask this right now.
You are talking about variance. This is addressed in two ways: multiple runs of the same sequence and trying to use sections which use scripted events.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

*pats SKYMTL on the back*

Well deserved accolades on a good, objective and informative article.

Cheers!
Appreciative_Canuck :)
Old June 17, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
You are talking about variance. This is addressed in two ways: multiple runs of the same sequence and trying to use sections which use scripted events.
What do you mean scripted events?
Old June 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Scripted, as in the same things happen each time you do it. Repeatability is the key for getting the proper FPS between different runs of the benchmark/demo/level.
Old June 17, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thumbs up Video Cards

This is why I finally settled here rather than one of the other sites. While I still read the other sites reviews, it seems to me this one is most objective and strives to be as impartial as possible. By doing this, the proof is in the pudding. I'm not chastising any sites or building up this one, yeah right, but how many sites have made attempts to be this transparent about their testing methods?

In their defense I'm not all that knowledgeable, nor have I been involved in this field for very long,however when reading these articles I can relate to what is being said and done. On top of that, the help given without any condescending or above reproach views make me feel welcome and keep me coming back and asking questions which to be honest I would never dream of asking on certain other sites for fear of being ridiculed and/or chastised. After all, we all started from the beginning at some point. Kudos to SKYMTL and the HWC team. And to all of its members for keeping it real and being so helpful to such a noob as myself, thank you very much.

Keep up the good work folks!!!
Old June 17, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Scripted, as in the same things happen each time you do it. Repeatability is the key for getting the proper FPS between different runs of the benchmark/demo/level.
Which goes back to what I was talking about doesn't it? Something different could occur each time, whether its big or small.
Old June 17, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Annnnd once again it takes a SKY Canuck to open people's eyes. Amazing job bro, I am very proud to be a Canuck right now! And the accompanying how to with downloads is fan-bloody-tastic. Thanks for all the hard work I cannot begin to fathom the dedication and focus it takes to pull this kind of thing together.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 17, 2010, 03:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Which goes back to what I was talking about doesn't it? Something different could occur each time, whether its big or small.
Not in a time demo or in-game benchmark. In open game play , yes absolutely it can. That's why you do multiple runs, and over a longer time frame, so that your average FPS is closer to what it actually should be. In a short clip or 20 second play through, you could have events that spike or drop your framerate for a couple seconds. That will have more of an impact on the average framerate in a short run, while the effect would tend to be minimized in a longer run.