Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 03:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I see you are using Starcraft II in your benchmarks now.
Will you be including directions for benchmarking it in your guide?
Old September 15, 2010, 07:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup. Directions plus the replay will be uploaded tonight.
Old September 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I can't find the Starcraft II benchmark directions. Where did it get uploaded to?
Old December 13, 2010, 08:11 AM

Bit of an update here guys.

Adding: HawX 2 and F1 2010. The "How To" benchmarking guides with videos and / or config files will be posted tonight or tomorrow. For all you conspiracy theorists, this boils down to one NVIDIA-centric game and one AMD-centric game. It should even the playing field a bit for the nit-pickers out there.

Removing: Starcraft 2

The reasons for removing SC2 should be self-evident. First and foremost, the numerous updates Blizzard releases make past replays incompatible with the latest version of the game. Since we make it a point to use the latest version of the game engine for all reviews and benchmarks, this situation has made benching SC2 next to impossible as it necessitates the re-creation of replays and re-benchmarking of cards all too often. In addition, this game is in no way taxing to a modern graphics card unless you implement control-panel and quite often buggy AA routines. I find benchmarking time will be much better spent with other games.

I also want to mention that this move brings us one step closer to eliminating ALL DX9 and DX10 games from the benchmarking process. In the early part of next year, I intend to have a DX11-only game lineup. The days of benchmarking today's GPUs on yesterday's game technologies are coming to a close.

Last edited by SKYMTL; December 13, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old December 13, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Bit of an update here guys.

Adding: HawX 2 and F1 2010. The "How To" benchmarking guides with videos and / or config files will be posted tonight or tomorrow. For all you conspiracy theorists, this boils down to one NVIDIA-centric game and one AMD-centric game. It should even the playing field a bit for the nit-pickers out there.

Removing: Starcraft 2

The reasons for removing SC2 should be self-evident. First and foremost, the numerous updates Blizzard releases make past replays incompatible with the latest version of the game. Since we make it a point to use the latest version of the game engine for all reviews and benchmarks, this situation has made benching SC2 next to impossible as it necessitates the re-creation of replays and re-benchmarking of cards all too often. In addition, this game is in no way taxing to a modern graphics card unless you implement control-panel and quite often buggy AA routines. I find benchmarking time will be much better spent with other games.

I also want to mention that this move brings us one step closer to eliminating ALL DX9 and DX10 games from the benchmarking process. In the early part of next year, I intend to have a DX11-only game lineup. The days of benchmarking today's GPUs on yesterday's game technologies are coming to a close.
This tells me that you don't play enough SC2!

I think it's fine. The stress SC2 puts on my 9600GT is even less than COD: MW. Any decent GPU today can run SC2 at max settings fine.
Old December 13, 2010, 09:57 PM

HawX 2 won't be implemented for the review going live tomorrow night due to the damn DRM preventing me from getting into the game to finish benchmarking.

Good going Ubisoft!! Make a game that needs you to always be logged in and then effectively shitting on users by screwing up logins. Idiots.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

And you just know that people who pirated it are playing it with no problems. It seems DRM is a really good way of showing customers how much they mean to the company!

That aside, changes make sense!
Old December 14, 2010, 12:28 AM
da_bradler

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
This tells me that you don't play enough SC2!

I think it's fine. The stress SC2 puts on my 9600GT is even less than COD: MW. Any decent GPU today can run SC2 at max settings fine.
I'm not exactly confident a 9600GT could run A SC2 game of nexus wars 90/90 supply x 8 players on ultra on a 1900x1200 display. I understand it being to hard to bench but I doubt a lot of the graphics cards you review could handle the customs maps as well as whatever single player level your testing. but granted it's a hard game to bench, just saying this game engine is going to be around for 5-10 years and way more people will be exposed to it than say a metro 2033.
Old April 3, 2014, 06:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for this guide :D