Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2010, 05:54 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think I've ever asked, as your fan speeds slows, What are your temps doing? Do they spike fast or rise gradually? If you're monitoring the temps why not let it go, should you hit 85-90 degrees then shut it down. perhaps the cards bios is playing god with the fan control.

Old June 18, 2010, 06:08 PM
Top Prospect

Uh, I'm fairly sure the temps rise gradually. I don't want to let it go because A: The principle of the sitaution; I control 5850. 5850 does not control me (except in Soviet Russia, but seeing as I live Canada...). B: With a 780/1180 OC (what I'm expecting to get, what most other people get), and with Crysis maxed out, the temps will exceed 90 pretty fast and then I'm sad because I have no Crysis . I'll go check what the temps do @stock clock and with the fan going to auto with a 3D application started.
Edit: Just noticed the troubleshooting forum a little more...maybe I should post this in there? Or if somebody could move it, that'd be great.

Last edited by Pine; June 18, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 18, 2010, 08:17 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

In MSI Afterburner there is a setting that will display your temp while in full screen. That way you can frag out in Crysis (BTW Warhead is better than the first one) and still keep an eye on your temps.

Old June 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Top Prospect

Alright gonna go check out my temps. How is Warhead better? I hear it's better optimized but I'm not sure on that - Also, they run off the exact same engine (CryEngine 2), so there really won't be much of a difference except some optimizations and maps (Although, what do I know?). I'm gonna go get my temps tomorrow, then. Getting late. Thanks AVN.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
B: With a 780/1180 OC (what I'm expecting to get, what most other people get), and with Crysis maxed out, the temps will exceed 90 pretty fast and then I'm sad because I have no Crysis . I'll go check what the temps do @stock clock and with the fan going to auto with a 3D application started.
Edit: Just noticed the troubleshooting forum a little more...maybe I should post this in there? Or if somebody could move it, that'd be great.
I would expect a higher core clock than what you posted and lower mem overclock possibly. Depending on what volts you want to use. As to your situation have you tried just uninstalling/reinstalling all ATI drivers and CCC?
Old June 18, 2010, 09:37 PM
Top Prospect

No, I haven't. I'll go reinstall em.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:37 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Warhead's framerates are cosiderably better, and the user interface with the nano-suit is more user friendly, you auto pickup weapons, little tweaks like that. I have both games and I much prefer Warhead. Tom Clancy's HAWX is a blast too.

Old June 19, 2010, 08:44 AM
Top Prospect

I've uninstalled everything ATi from remove programs, I've rebooted into safe mode and used Driver Sweeper to get the last bits of the drivers out, and I've reinstalled Catalyst Software Suit (Driver/CCC) 10.6. I've reset everything in MSI and disabled apply overclocking at startup. Now, I have everything at default. Should I raise fan speed to 55%+overclock at startup (will put fans to 55% @ startup) in MSI Afterburner, or should I leave MSI Afterburner at defaults(untouched) and just set my fan speed to 55% in CCC Overdrive?
Old June 19, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can try with either I suppose, but before you OC, just try setting the fan to whatever custom speed you want and try running furmark or playing a game and see if it ramps down the speed on the fan.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:34 AM
Top Prospect

I tried setting CCC to 56%, Afterburner untouched. Started furmark, fans get noticeably quieter (and don't sound like they're really at 55%), Stopped furmark, fans get noticeably louder (and do sound like they're really at 55%).
Set CCC back to defaults (fan@auto), opened up afterburner, fans to 56%, started furmark, fans get quieter, stopped furmark, fans get quieter.
There's seemingly no way to overcome this problem. I guess I won't be overclocking.

Last edited by Pine; June 20, 2010 at 07:24 AM.