Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I knew it was being calculated somewhere, wasn't sure if it was done on CPU while offscreen, but that wouldn't make much sense now would it! Anyways, so does resolution factor in any additional calculation?
Old June 15, 2010, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Zero is correct. It does not matter if you are not looking at it and across the map. It still has to calculate everything. Just because you look away does not change that physics are still happening all around. Think of it this way. If A.I. was only calculated when looking at it it would not shoot at you when you turn your back making the game lame. (I know lame example).

(a better example)
Think of an avalanche going on in the distance. You then turn around. Would it be realistic if the avalanche paused till you turned around and looked at it?

Physx has nothing to do with rendering and all about calculations and a whole lot of it.
Wouldn't you presume though that, for other less obvious interactions than an avalanche, developers MIGHT dynamically disable and re-enable PhysX for optimisation purposes? Take the swaying of leaves in wind for example. It would be useless rendering distant leaves and branches that are out of visibility (especially with DOF) but then as you approached them PhysX could be enforced, all the while you wouldn't be able to tell they weren't moving (unlike the avalanche stopping half way :P)
Old June 15, 2010, 10:43 PM
Banned
F@H

possibly. lets say youre sniping an object 2-3 miles away. of course you wont see them leaves without the scope. will you notice a sudden drop? :)
Old June 15, 2010, 11:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Anyways, so does resolution factor in any additional calculation?
No, it does not.
Old June 18, 2010, 12:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
possibly. lets say youre sniping an object 2-3 miles away. of course you wont see them leaves without the scope. will you notice a sudden drop? :)
Doubt it, last i heard leaf motion PhysX wasn't that intensive that it would result in a noticeable frame rate drop... unless your talking Crysis leaves, their special
Old June 18, 2010, 03:19 AM
Banned
F@H

yes, heavy **** stuff
Old June 18, 2010, 07:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The PhysX calculations continue on in the background, regardless of whether you can see it or not, or at least they do in Mirror's Edge. When running PhysX, if cops break the glass while chasing me my computer pulls ultra-low fps even when I move to another room. This is because the cpu is still running PhysX calculations on the glass in the last room. For some reason my PhysX card does not work in Mirror's Edge...