Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   8800 Ultra - should I return it for Crossfire 3870's? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/3303-8800-ultra-should-i-return-crossfire-3870s.html)

zlojack November 17, 2007 09:47 AM

8800 Ultra - should I return it for Crossfire 3870's?

Hi guys,

I am building the following system and I am intrigued by the new 3870 cards coming out.

I already have the 8800 Ultra on order, and I realize it is the top in performance, despite being overpriced (I figured I'd pay it, since it would probably do the job for a good while. That extra ceiling in the o/c and performance department will probably come in handy down the road a bit)

But now I'm seeing the reviews of the 3870's and they are looking good. My system is like this:

Asus Maximus Formula (supports Crossfire)
Q6600
4 GB Mushkin XP2 6400 DDR2 800
24" Samsung Syncmaster
EVGA 8800 Ultra

Should I even be thinking about this or am I crazy?

EDIT: A third option would be to stick with the 8800 and then down the road when ATI releases the 3870 X2 or 3890 or whatever they're going to call it, upgrade then.

Anyway... I think I answered my own question, but opinions/thoughts are still welcome! :D

Babrbarossa November 17, 2007 10:14 AM

I wouldn't buy the ultra- I would either buy the vanilla, and overclock it to get Ultra levels of performance, or I would buy a single 3870, and wait to see what the next great thing down the pipe is. You're better off just buying the fastest card you can afford and upgrading when something faster comes out- then asell your old one- buying two cards for twice the price for only 50% greater performance isn't as feasible- the only reason that I can see to go dual is if you can afford two of the fastest cards out there- and then it would just be for benchmarking and bragging rights because no standard application would ever be able to take advantage of the power. Also right now probably isn't a good time to buy two 8800GTS/GTX as they're approaching obsolescence pretty soon. The next gens are proving to be better value

SKYMTL November 17, 2007 10:15 AM

That's a bit of a tough one.

For the Ultra:
- A single Ultra will perform equal to or above HD3870 cards in Crossfire
- Corssfire still does not work as well as I would like with the HD3870 cards

For the HD3870s:
- You have a Crossfire mobo
- Less power consumption
- Less expensive than a single Ultra..I think.

zlojack November 17, 2007 10:23 AM

Thanks for the answers.

The thing is, the Ultra is already paid for (Babrbarrossa that is the fastest card I can afford right now ;)). I would have to exchange it.

The Ultra since will probably outperform anything on the market right now and will do the job for quite a while.

Then when I'm ready to upgrade maybe in a year I'll look at what my options are then.

Crossfire is something to consider since I have a Crossfire mobo, but the drivers are still pretty rough apparently.

With the new X2 cards coming out next year, maybe by the time I'm ready to upgrade, there will be some good x2 options and some games that require that much power, since I am buying this stuff for gaming.

So, I guess the best thing is to stick with the Ultra and see what they come up with next year when I'm ready to upgrade. Then I can maybe look at ATI since they still lag behind nVidia in terms of performance so far...hope they catch up!

Babrbarossa November 17, 2007 10:38 AM

Well you certainly can't go wrong with a GTX, and it's on the way.

Squeetard November 17, 2007 12:49 PM

Did you buy an EVGA ultra? Then you would have 90 days to trade up to the next card they put out.

Rumor has it they are releasing a card with 1gb of ram and 2 g92's on board in december.

zlojack November 17, 2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeetard (Post 26543)
Did you buy an EVGA ultra? Then you would have 90 days to trade up to the next card they put out.

Rumor has it they are releasing a card with 1gb of ram and 2 g92's on board in december.

That's very true, and great news!

Rains December 9, 2007 11:02 AM

the ultra is an excellent card, too much $$ though

The ultra's are truly great cards and great performers, but a simple GTX would have sufficed. I've Oc'd mine before and it rips it up, even when its not oc'd i've never had a problem in any game with anything really, and i always run the highest settings i can, without going over the top that is(theres just some stuff you don't even need and wont notice when its enabled anyways) maybe the odd time it'll stutter but very very rarely. Nothings perfect. I know its too late for you now, but ultimately the ultra is a wicked fast card which i don't think will disappoint. I put one in a system i built for a buddy, i found it for under 600, thats why i snagged it and the thing screams in games, so if thats what your looking for, you should be just fine

Also, just keep in mind about crossfire 3870's, they're still new, i'm sure there are driver issues and so on and so on. Hell SLi has never truly been fixed and its been around for how long now? Crossfire is ultimately a better platform, but the ATI the cards just don't compare yet performance wise with 8800's in SLi. i want ATI back on top personally, but they really dropped the ball this time, lets just see what their future offerings bring, yet 4x 3870's does sound quite interesting i think they call that quadfire now haha pretty crazy stuff

Just roll (well i guess you have)with whatever makes you happier but i'd hit an ultra before 2x 3870's any day. ATI cards lately have sucked(and I love ATI), so while you may have shelled out more dough( i don't know what 2x 3870's work out to in $$), you'll probably ultimately be happier for at least the time being until the next big thing comes out.

just my 2 cents.

Rains

ebdoradz December 9, 2007 12:39 PM

i woudl avoid EVGA brand video card, they charge canadian customer 45$ to proceed their RMA, so if you have trouble with you card it could cost laot to RMA it

and they dont labbelled correctly the box for step up program so you pai tax and duty fee on the new card

Hitikiro December 9, 2007 04:58 PM

I think EVGA has changed their policies regarding the fee on their RMA returns.

EVGA will cover all return shipping back to the customer for the RMA replacement with free ground shipping through UPS in the United States and free FedEX Ground shipping to Canadian Customers.*
EVGA | EVGA Limited Lifetime Warranty