Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   inexpensive 8800gt cooling? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/32976-inexpensive-8800gt-cooling.html)

ccm001 June 8, 2010 07:10 AM

inexpensive 8800gt cooling?

I'm looking for suggestions on inexpensive 8800gt cooling. My older rig has an xfx 8800gt alpha dog edition where the fan is factory locked at %100 - it is loud, sounds like a dehumidifier. I would like to make the computer into a htpc, but it is way too loud the way it is. Any suggestions on cheap aftermarket cooling? It's either that or I somehow "kill" the video card and RMA it for replacement - but then I'd probably have to pay at least $30 for shipping.

Thanks.

jcmaz June 8, 2010 07:23 AM

Arctic Cooling L2: NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Low Noise VGA Cooler 92MM PWM Fan ATI 4850 4830 4770 NVIDIA 9800 9600 - AcceleroL2Pro In Canada.
Arctic Cooling S1 Rev2 for passive goodness.

_dangtx_ June 8, 2010 09:14 AM

yes. yank stock fan and shroud out, add a 120mm tuned down if its a high speed unit.free if you have the fan and a couple zip ties.

that or try precision. i have had lots of gt's, all of them(i think) had the fan adjustable. including the alfa dogs that i still use

ccm001 June 8, 2010 06:08 PM

I was thinking that, but not yet decided. Thanks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 388489)
yes. yank stock fan and shroud out, add a 120mm tuned down if its a high speed unit.free if you have the fan and a couple zip ties.

Never even thought of trying that. I could give it a try and monitor the temps while playing movies and doing every day mundane things. Thanks for that tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 388489)
that or try precision. i have had lots of gt's, all of them(i think) had the fan adjustable. including the alfa dogs that i still use

My particular version, and one or 2 others, of alpha dog have the fans locked at %100. And I've confirmed this with xfx, they did it that way at factory. They wouldn't rma the card because it's not a default, it was designed that way. Their solution to me for the noise: install an aftermarket cooler.

_dangtx_ June 8, 2010 06:31 PM

cool. so they paying for it? :D

any 120mm fan(ok unless its one that pushes 9cfm) will do. trust me.

On2wheels June 11, 2010 11:09 PM

Hey I'm facing the same issue with the same card, just RMA'd my 8800 to BFG, and they sent back one with a heavier heatsink. But the load temps still goes to 86C. I'm not sure how long that will be stable for, since I'm sure my last 8800 started out that way. I'm looking at the same one
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Low Noise VGA Cooler 92MM PWM Fan ATI 4850 4830 4770 NVIDIA 9800 9600 - AcceleroL2Pro In Canada.
or the passive one
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 Passive VGA Cooler - ACCELERO-S1-REV2 In Canada.

I waited nearly 4 weeks for BFG to replace my original 8800, now I get almost the same thing in return. :S

Thund3rball June 11, 2010 11:30 PM

I used a zalman vf-900 from my old 7900GS, worked awesome.
Zalman VF900-CU Copper Dual Heatpipe 1350-2400RPM 18.5-25.0DBA VGA Cooler - DirectCanada

Silvgearx June 12, 2010 12:16 AM

Its pretty much impossible to cool a G92 passively, unless you have extremely good air ventilation. Even if you can, you would want to add a fan to it cause it can heats up the ambient case temp a by a good amount. And one of the biggest con on the accelero S1 rev 2 is its size, its tall and you will likely need mid size+ cases.

The accelero L2 would be the best choice for performance/noise ratio thanks to the huge 92mm fan and it only takes up 1 extra slot and will fit in most small/compacted cases.

CroSsFiRe2009 June 12, 2010 01:32 AM

It's possible for the Accelero to run passive actually but it wouldnt be truly passive. You need at least a front intake blowing on it a bit or it'll skyrocket. Had one before and went from 40C idle to 100C+ load and throttling/crashing.

IMO, stick with stock for now, the cost of aftermarket cooling isnt worth it. If you set up a support ticket with xfx and complain about the noise and ask for something to quiet it down they'll probably send you a resistor adapter for it. I've even gotten them to send me a different version of a heatsink once for an 8600GT since I complained about the noise (I had the cheaped out revision :P). I should also note that I wasn't even under warranty at that point.

Dangtx's idea of taking off the shroud is a good idea but just make sure you don't strip any screws when removing the metal plate. Instead of a 120, I'd suggest you use a 92 or 80 since the fan hub is smaller and will restrict airflow less.

On2wheels June 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Good points guys, I've only now fully understood how hot the 8800 series of cards run, I guess that's what you get for the performance. I'm certainly happy with how mine runs! I left the card's stock cooling on it, and I've moved the PC into my basement where the ambient temp is 18c right now, and won't get much higher all summer. Also, I'm using EVGA's Precision utility to manually increase the fan speed since nvidia's drivers don't do a very good job at it, and it's reduced my card temps considerably. And for the heck of it, since I don't have any case fans, I put a small room fan blowing into the case directly at the card (it's a very old case, not designed for todays hardware).

Doing all this reduced my idle and peak temp by 10-15c depending on the game, more if I crank the fan up even higher, so far I've only gone to about 65% or so. And what a difference in fan noise from the gpu, I can't believe the auto setting in the drivers won't work that well, I mean how damn hot does it have to get before it turns it up?

edit: I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, but using Nvidia system tools, you can set rules for the fan to run according to gpu temp, not by cpu usage, like they have by default. Any reason we shouldn't use this tool?
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/593/17972675.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us