Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2010, 05:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
IMO, stick with stock for now, the cost of aftermarket cooling isnt worth it. If you set up a support ticket with xfx and complain about the noise and ask for something to quiet it down they'll probably send you a resistor adapter for it. I've even gotten them to send me a different version of a heatsink once for an 8600GT since I complained about the noise (I had the cheaped out revision :P). I should also note that I wasn't even under warranty at that point.

Dangtx's idea of taking off the shroud is a good idea but just make sure you don't strip any screws when removing the metal plate. Instead of a 120, I'd suggest you use a 92 or 80 since the fan hub is smaller and will restrict airflow less.
I tried complaining about the noise, but they said its not defective or a fault, it was designed this way (my version of the card), so they won't do anything about it. I can put on an aftermarket cooler and it won't affect the warranty, as long as I keep the original parts and put it back together if I ever do have to rma it.

So for an experiment with a new fan 120, 92, or 80, you guys are talking about just a regular case fan? Would that be enough to keep it cool just running apps and watching movies (absolutely no gaming)?