Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Default best nvidia card not FERMI?

I was just curious what Nvidia cards are preferred if they're not Fermi. Are they all good for folding or just certain ones?

I'm a Linux user as well as Windows so if I don't go for ATI when I upgrade my card (GeForce 7xxx series), I'm wondering which to get. If I go for a Nvidia card, then I'll budget even less than I would if I went for an ATI card. I think ATI is better for the hardware but I'm constantly reading mixed reviews and even if I go for an older ATI card (think HD 4xxx), there's still issues.

I prefer something I can game with but 3D and 2D (watching videos, editing etc.) is a priority over gaming.

I thought either 9800GT, 240 GT or GTS 250/9800GTX+ but maybe the power consumption is too high for those?

I am wondering if I should just go for an ATI card and deal with the pains in Linux (maybe it will be better soon) or buy a cheap Nvidia card and switch later. Used 9800GT cards and 240 GT are cheap now so that is what I am leaning towards unless there's reason to do something else. I like the performance/temps/power ratio of the ATI cards, though. Well, the newer ones for sure.

I don't want to go over $200 and for Nvidia card, probably no more than $120.

It would be nice if I could narrow the field down a bit. My current card is okay but the temps for that is about 47 to 53 degrees and it's an old card so...

So many good posts with the temps/power/performance graphs... helps a lot in deciding and assessing...
Old June 6, 2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
F@H

meh, get a used 9800gt and try that for a little while. they can be had for real cheap
Old June 6, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you REALLY a UNIX user? If you are you should know there are easy work around even for ATI cards. All you told us is that you use linux, what exactly do you do besides playing with the desktop?
Old June 6, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check FS Thead......there's a GTX 260 - 216 for $120.........great price great /card!!

Old June 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Yeah, 'read that one... looks like they're sold already... pending?

Lots of folders.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:50 PM
Banned
F@H

yup. you can find quite a number of folders in here. dam proud of it too lol
Old June 7, 2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

Does it matter whether it's 512MB or 1GB?

Is the GTS 250 worth it? They're 55nm while 9800GT is usually 65nm, right?
Old June 7, 2010, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

9800 GTX+ either 512 or 1GB or also 55nm......may find one of those cheap......

Old June 7, 2010, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
9800 GTX+ either 512 or 1GB or also 55nm......may find one of those cheap......
Here?

Btw, many of these cards have these 'custom' coolers now instead of the reference design? Are they any good?

Is it a similar situation to ATI cards? The hot air will be moved into the case, not through the exhaust? Also, does those custom coolers do a good job meaning do you get a lot less degrees? I think many of them actually have an increase in power consumption? I'm just curious because 9800GT have 100w and GTS 250 have 150w.

Thanks for any info. I'm just curious about it..
Old June 11, 2010, 07:43 AM
Banned

I have another question... I tried to google it but still unsure. I am wondering about 512MB and 1GB versions of the 92/b architecture of Nvidia cards. Is it worth it for the 1GB versions because they're a bit more money for whatever card. I read that for higher resolutions, it's beneficial but I don't if that applies to 1680x1050 resolutions which is what my 20" LG monitor has.

I have narrowed it down to 9800GT or GTS 250 if I go for Nvidia but prices are considerably less for 512MB versions. Also, if it's not a reference card, does the hot air blow into the case?

I think the reference card have the fan showing at the end of the card or the other side while 'custom' cards have it in the middle????

I hope I can get this straightened out since it would help narrow things down further. This is only if I get Nvidia, though. :)

'Hope some experts can comment...