Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2007, 10:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
A bullet-Proof helmet.

God, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
Old November 17, 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Soooooo..........the guns to your head, what would you buy ????? 3870 or 8800gt ??:help::)
Give me a few days to think about it. I'm fresh off the buzz of reviewing the 3870 so any of my responses may be somewhat tainted.

A few PSU reviews should wash that taint right off.
Old November 18, 2007, 06:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Give me a few days to think about it. I'm fresh off the buzz of reviewing the 3870 so any of my responses may be somewhat tainted.

A few PSU reviews should wash that taint right off.
Hmm, They must be dam close if you can't make a clear cut call right off. But, take some time and let us know your decision soon.

Your Habs thumped Boston last night, that should help clear your head.
Old November 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
Rookie

Could you post some benchmarks on Crysis @ Very High with that awesome clock of yours and with the Catalyst 7.11 Drivers? Link. They promise good performance increase, want to see if it's doable. :)

Great review btw!

Last edited by wconstantine; November 18, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old November 18, 2007, 08:13 AM

I knew that someone was going to mention Crysis.

The reason I did not include Crysis is because of all the talk about driver optimizations and whatnot. I did not want to wade into the controversy so I will wait unit BOTH Nvidia and ATI have WHQL drivers that are comaptible with their cards. Right now the new WHQL drivers from Nvidia (163.75) don't work with the 8800GT and the older drivers (169.02) are the ones everyone is calling foul over.

Also, the Cat. 7.11 drivers are still not out....
Old November 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I knew that someone was going to mention Crysis.

The reason I did not include Crysis is because of all the talk about driver optimizations and whatnot. I did not want to wade into the controversy so I will wait unit BOTH Nvidia and ATI have WHQL drivers that are comaptible with their cards. Right now the new WHQL drivers from Nvidia (163.75) don't work with the 8800GT and the older drivers (169.02) are the ones everyone is calling foul over.

Also, the Cat. 7.11 drivers are still not out....
Oh, ok. Well if you use that hotfix I linked the Catalyst version will show 7.11, so I think it's some kind of beta. People say that they get a increase of 5-10fps in dx10 in Crysis. Some people say they don't get any better performance, would be fun to find out if you can go over 30fps with that insane clock of yours. :P

Anyways, my HD 3870 will be delivered to me the 25th. =)

Edit: Would be cool if someone released a new bios to the card some time later that allowed us to clock over 860 and release the RV670 core's real potential. Water cooling and some voltmodding and I'm sure we could go over 1GHz!

Last edited by wconstantine; November 18, 2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old November 18, 2007, 09:03 AM

That is the next thing I want to work on. I have already been in touch with a few people about a modded BIOS and it should happen "soon".
Old November 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
That is the next thing I want to work on. I have already been in touch with a few people about a modded BIOS and it should happen "soon".
Awesome. Let me know how it goes! :D
Old November 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wconstantine View Post
Oh, ok. Well if you use that hotfix I linked the Catalyst version will show 7.11, so I think it's some kind of beta. People say that they get a increase of 5-10fps in dx10 in Crysis. Some people say they don't get any better performance, would be fun to find out if you can go over 30fps with that insane clock of yours. :P

Anyways, my HD 3870 will be delivered to me the 25th. =)

Edit: Would be cool if someone released a new bios to the card some time later that allowed us to clock over 860 and release the RV670 core's real potential. Water cooling and some voltmodding and I'm sure we could go over 1GHz!
Thanks for the link to the hotfix. (If the link doesn't work, just go to ATI support and look for "Crysis Hotfix"). According to the description, it tweaks much more than Crysis performance. I suspect that it is indeed an early version of 7.11 I'm still waiting for all my bits and pieces to arrive, but I will use the hotfix when I set up my Crossfire 3870's (Q6600 & Vista 64 on ASUS Maximus mobo).
Old November 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurn View Post
Thanks for the link to the hotfix. (If the link doesn't work, just go to ATI support and look for "Crysis Hotfix"). According to the description, it tweaks much more than Crysis performance. I suspect that it is indeed an early version of 7.11 I'm still waiting for all my bits and pieces to arrive, but I will use the hotfix when I set up my Crossfire 3870's (Q6600 & Vista 64 on ASUS Maximus mobo).

Np mate, gl with your crossfire. :)