Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 09:23 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 9
Exclamation

Just BTW, the HIS cards were in stock at NCIX... I got mine the next day :) .
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 10:19 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,404
Default

Yeah, I was told NCIX will be getting new shipments every few days. Which speaks volumes about how well ATI is handling this.
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

I read somewhere that ATI and thier partners have 800,000 boards ready compared to the 50,000 GT's that were available at launch.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
1Tanker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,170
Default

Which is good considering that has to cover to models 50/70's. I think DAAMIT is gonna sell a wack of 3850's.
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 104
Default

Threw one of the 3850's into my Quad machine

Q6600 @ OC 2800MHz
P5K-VM
2x 1024 Crucial Ballstix DDR2 800
AquaGate Mini80 Watercooling
WinXP 32Bit

First run stock clocks on GPU (669/829)
3Dm06 =10474
No suprise the increase came from OC CPU

Second run overclock GPU (720/999)
3Dm06 =11210

When they get Crossfire running properly I might get a real mobo for this machine
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 06:16 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Default

So Sky, given your knowledge and experience with both the 8800gt and the 3870, their respective availabilities and improvements with possible future driver versions..............

If you had to have a new vidcard before Xmas, what would you order today ???
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 07:55 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
So Sky, given your knowledge and experience with both the 8800gt and the 3870, their respective availabilities and improvements with possible future driver versions..............

If you had to have a new vidcard before Xmas, what would you order today ???
Depends on what your budget is. In all reality, I would wait to see if there are any longterm bugs with the HD3870 before making a decision. Notice we are only seeing the issues with the 8800GT a few weeks after it came out? Let other people be the beta testers and make you decision based on their experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Depends on what your budget is. In all reality, I would wait to see if there are any longterm bugs with the HD3870 before making a decision. Notice we are only seeing the issues with the 8800GT a few weeks after it came out? Let other people be the beta testers and make you decision based on their experiences.
Well, the budget between the two is really not an issue, just my POS PC is really starting to drive me nuts, and I need something new by Xmas. Waiting may be the answer, but by the time the 3870 riddle is answered something newer may well be out, and I'll be in the same boat I am in now. I have been playing the waiting game for a while now, and have made up my mind that I am buying, and no longer waiting. I will however be buying mid range hardware, and updating more frequently. The X800XTPE I have now was the shiz when I bought it over 2 years ago, but it is really showing its age now with the release of the newer games.

Soooooo..........the guns to your head, what would you buy ????? 3870 or 8800gt ??:help::)

Last edited by Stang; November 17, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spellingk
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
1Tanker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Well, the budget between the two is really not an issue, just my POS PC is really starting to drive me nuts, and I need something new by Xmas. Waiting may be the answer, but by the time the 3870 riddle is answered something newer may well be out, and I'll be in the same boat I am in now. I have been playing the waiting game for a while now, and have made up my mind that I am buying, and no longer waiting. I will however be buying mid range hardware, and updating more frequently. The X800XTPE I have now was the shiz when I bought it over 2 years ago, but it is really showing its age now with the release of the newer games.

Soooooo..........the guns to your head, what would you buy ????? 3870 or 8800gt ??:help::)
A bullet-Proof helmet.
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old November 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Acton, Ontario
Posts: 2,465

My System Specs

Default

No doubt in my mind for a second, 3870.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI HD3870 X2 1GB Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 126 June 7, 2008 07:11 AM
Thermaltake TMG A1 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Water Cooling 5 January 16, 2008 08:14 PM
Comment Thread for Thermaltake TMG ND5 Review SKYMTL Video Cards 5 October 25, 2007 05:11 AM