Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
Rookie

SKY, I just ordered up a couple of 3870's and Vista 64, with intent to Crossfire on an ASUS Maximus mobo. Can you link me to the Beta 8.44 drivers... could not see any sign of them at ATI/AMD website (in fact, I couldn't even chose a 3870 from the pulldown menu for driver downloads).

I'm thinking of doing a dual boot system (XP and Vista 64)... have you tried that as a scheme to workaround incompatibility issues with Crossfire and Vista 64?
Old November 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
Rookie

I think the beta only ships with the card.
Old November 15, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice review. Question, are you comparing 3870 oc performance with stock or oc performance of the other cards?
Old November 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Does anyone have any opinion on which brand has better customer service?

Apparently Visiontek has a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure what their quality standards and/or RMA service is like.

I have an 8800GT order pending at NCIX and I'm tempted to switch to one of these. At the moment I'm using an A8R-MVP (an older RD480 Crossfire board) and when I upgrade it will likely be to an Intel chipset, so the ATI solution would allow me to go crossfire in the future...hmmm.
Old November 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Unfortunately, I can't link you to the 8.44 RC2 drivers due to the fact that they are for internal use only and we do not have the go-ahead to release them to the public. That being said, there is NO difference in Crossfire between them and the 8.43 drivers that ship with the card. I am guessing that by the time you receive your cards, there will be new official drivers available from ATI anyways....
Old November 15, 2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Nice review. Question, are you comparing 3870 oc performance with stock or oc performance of the other cards?
Stock.
Old November 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarp View Post
I think the beta only ships with the card.
No, SKYMTL says that the HIS card shipped with 8.43 drivers, but he used 8.44 Release Candidate Betas.
Old November 15, 2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer View Post
Does anyone have any opinion on which brand has better customer service?

Apparently Visiontek has a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure what their quality standards and/or RMA service is like.

I have an 8800GT order pending at NCIX and I'm tempted to switch to one of these. At the moment I'm using an A8R-MVP (an older RD480 Crossfire board) and when I upgrade it will likely be to an Intel chipset, so the ATI solution would allow me to go crossfire in the future...hmmm.
That is a good question. For the one-year warrantied products I would say HIS is the best due to the fact that you can deal directly with NCIX for the length of the warranty. As for the lifetime warranty with Visiontek....that is the first I have heard of it.
Old November 15, 2007, 02:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Unfortunately, I can't link you to the 8.44 RC2 drivers due to the fact that they are for internal use only and we do not have the go-ahead to release them to the public. That being said, there is NO difference in Crossfire between them and the 8.43 drivers that ship with the card. I am guessing that by the time you receive your cards, there will be new official drivers available from ATI anyways....
Thanks for the reply. (I'm jumping between forums too).

Nurn... aka Buzzard11
Old November 15, 2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurn View Post
No, SKYMTL says that the HIS card shipped with 8.43 drivers, but he used 8.44 Release Candidate Betas.
Actually, even the 8.43 drivers are beta. I believe they are the 8.43 RC3.