Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2007, 11:59 AM
Rookie

I bought the Sapphire 3870 yesterday off DC for $237 around 5:30pm, when I came back from dinner around 6:15pm it was up to $255 and today their sold out :P
Old December 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
Rookie

And once I CF this card, what PSU (W) do you think should do the trick?
Old December 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
Rookie

any hi watt, or sli/crossfire certified psu from a well known company such as Enermax, or more specifically the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Crossfire 750W, or the Thermaltake ToughPower W0116RU 750W Crossfire ready psu.
Old December 15, 2007, 09:21 AM
Rookie

Default I am sure its been mentioned before...

Hey there... I am sure it"s been mentioned before... But the stock cooler is perfectly fine. Using riva tuner to bump the speed to 60% the temps fall by 1/2... I run myne at 855/2.3ghz, and at 60% (although audible) the temps stick around 50c... By default however, the fan is completely silent and yes the temps get up there. When running at the speeds above, i would get VPU recovery errors. That being said, i could click ok, and resume my game 4 or 5 times before I had to reboot the system. (silly I know, but I like to see how much i can push it)
Old December 15, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Are there some beta drivers somewhere that improve performance on 3850 512 somewhere? I picked one up yesterday, bout to fire it up now.
Old December 15, 2007, 05:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Are there some beta drivers somewhere that improve performance on 3850 512 somewhere? I picked one up yesterday, bout to fire it up now.
Just the regular 7.11 drivers but make sure that you download all of the hotfixes and whatnot.

Also, you might want to think about OCing the card for the best performance possible.
Old December 17, 2007, 04:30 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
All right. Here is what I want you to do:

Make sure you have both cards installed in the RIGHT SLOTS on your mobo and have Driver Cleaner ready to go.

- Install the drivers FROM THE DRIVER CD!!

Crossfire should now be installed and ready to use. You may have to reboot one more time.
SKYMTL, is this step still correct when getting Crossfire up and running on Vista x64 now that 7.11 and the Crysis Hofix is out?
I'm having troubles getting crossfire up and running with my Vista x64 setup... CCC in 7.11 and the crysis hotfix build both say that crossfire is enabled, but GPU-Z and 3DMark2006 say it's not. Also the performance in games shows that crossfire is not activated.
Old December 17, 2007, 05:41 AM

It seems like alot of people are having this exact same problem with the 7.11 drivers. I would try to go back to the Btea drivers you got with your card.
Old December 18, 2007, 02:15 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
It seems like alot of people are having this exact same problem with the 7.11 drivers. I would try to go back to the Btea drivers you got with your card.
Hmm...my friend (who has limited internet access and is overseas atm) is having some issues (of very similar nature), although WITH the beta 8.43 drivers (from the supplied HIS 3870 driver disc).
He followed the same procedures as you have outlined below:

Quote:
All right. Here is what I want you to do:

Make sure you have both cards installed in the RIGHT SLOTS on your mobo and have Driver Cleaner ready to go.

- Load up the Driver Install dialog from your driver CD

.....etc.

Crossfire should now be installed and ready to use. You may have to reboot one more time.
However, after the reboot, a BSOD occured after logging onto the desktop, stating that "atikmdag.sys" was the culprit. This is with CF enabled, as he has no such problems with CF disabled. Any thoughts?

Note that he has 2x HIS HD 3870s, Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Intel X38 mobo and 8GB (A-DATA) if that helps.

UPDATE: Seems there's a conflict with using 8GB RAM, as he says CF works fine with 2GB. Would excessive RAM even conflict with CF though?
Old December 18, 2007, 07:02 AM

I have no idea on this one.....