Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 03:49 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Would be interested to see how 2 x 465's SLI compare to 2 x 5850's XFire.....see how the "scaling" compares....
easy. look at the 465 sli article and compare it to the 5850 crossfire one :)
now,of course drivers will make a difference a few months from now so you cant apple to apple even with different drivers lol

edit : here : GeForce GTX 465 SLI review

kicks some butt in some games, left behind in others. overall sli seems to be the shit(but take in consideration power and heat for both and...)

"
The end result is a GPU with 352 activated shader processors, a product that is competing with the Radeon HD 5830 mostly ...
"

"
Multi-GPU performance then. NVIDIA seriously does have Willy Wonka's golden ticket in their hands when it comes to 2-way SLI performance. The scaling is just brilliant with each and every time we test it on a GTX 400 series card.
"

Last edited by _dangtx_; May 31, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Dang.....I don't really understand nv's Business Sense for this particular card...obviously folks on the fence or ATI Fanboys are going to go with the 5850....no brainer, at the same time Green Fanboys are going to spend a bit extra and go with a 470.....huh....odd one alright....

What is really interesting in that Guru Review is the comparisons of ALL the Cards in both single and Sli / Xfire.........wow...I did not realize just how great the scaling is with the nvidia Sli Cards.....well I did...but those charts really show just how much XFire is sucking the hind tit as far as scaling goes.....really would have thought ATI would be way further along......

Thanks again Dang for that Link

Last edited by rjbarker; May 31, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I agree. However, I love taking out my old games every now and then and that's where the new AA modes really come into play. There's nothing like using SSAA in Homeworld, the original Dawn of War, Half Life Ep 2 or even SimCity 4.
True enough, but it's impossible to notice the difference between such high levels of AA without taking still images and comparing them under a magnifying glass. Back when I had a 4870 I played a few older games with AA levels varying from 8x to 24x EDAA, and when the game is in motion, you really can't tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
xfx or bfg?
Neither of those brands even sells 400 series cards (and right now BFG doesn't sell any cards at all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
In the EVGA article, Did you mean not working?
No. Dies with most of their SPs working but not all of them are turned into lower-end cards. If most of the SPs are not working, then the die is scrapped.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
F@H

no worries. its just priced wrong, like the 5830. a good 79+ bucks too much. thats money for a psu you could run an efficient video card with ;)
Old May 31, 2010, 04:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe they're looking at the OEM builder side of things WRT pre-builts with discrete vid cards? ATM they don't really have anything current to offer to OEM builders as far as DX 11 mid range cards go.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 31, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Very true, although once these things start being offered with $30 - $40 MIR's, that may boost sales some....as with 470 / 80's .. . ..

Old May 31, 2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

good luck telling dell they cant run it off their 10$ 300 watts and have to invest in a beefier unit which will bring costs up considerably :)
Old May 31, 2010, 04:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
good luck telling dell they cant run it off their 10$ 300 watts and have to invest in a beefier unit which will bring costs up considerably :)
Dell never uses 300W PSUs in systems with high-end discrete video cards. And I assure you, even their lowest-powered PSUs still cost a fair amount more than $10 to manufacture.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ I "think" Dang was using a term called Sarcasm....not to be confused with being Facetious ;)

Old May 31, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ I "think" Dang was using a term called Sarcasm....not to be confused with being Facetious ;)
ROFL.
I knew exactly what dan "meant" and so too did you rjb. Guess the subtext.... just went right over some peeps heads....Must be a young'un vs oldster thang.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr