Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 12:39 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
Disappointing. I guess my dreams of RMAing my GTX 260 for something good have been dashed for the current generation. Back to the back of my drawer for at least another year.
xfx or bfg?
Old May 31, 2010, 01:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I don't feel like Warhead has much relevance anymore considering the obvious coding issues in the game which hold back performance of GPUs. I would use one of the mods but I can't even begin to imagine the furor that would cause. Crysis in general used to be the benchmark all cards were measured by. Now, it is: "Can it play Metro 2033". ;)
The only reason Metro 2033 is so brutal on framerates is the advanced depth of field, which basically just blurs images that are far away from you... turn that off and framerates double, at least for me. I don't think it's a particularly good looking game either, I found Warhead to be much more visually appealing. BTW, I though the original Crysis had the coding issues, and most of those were fixed with Warhead, which improved things a bit...
Old May 31, 2010, 01:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

IMO, Metro 2033 is one of the best looking games I have ever seen. The only way Crysis WH can compete is with certain mods.

That's just my opinion though.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Agreed Sky..Metro graphics are absolutely immersing and amazing...then again I play WITH DOF / Very High.....just wish I didn't fvck up with my Gas Mask..... ;)

Old May 31, 2010, 01:29 PM
Banned
F@H

dont want to go off topic here, but metro is not that great of a game. a bud plays it like nuts, looked at it...meh

now, when you turn eye candy on etc you can see that they worked on it properly, but the whole theme? not enough. open spaces like in farcry with that eye candy on? my god

you guys think the next ati cards will fare better with games like these?
Old May 31, 2010, 01:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
IMO, Metro 2033 is one of the best looking games I have ever seen. The only way Crysis WH can compete is with certain mods.

That's just my opinion though.
Fair enough... but have you tried to play with the DOF off? IMO, it makes gameplay easier since you can actually see what's coming at you/what's on the other side of the room, and the framerate increase means it's much more playable, especially when you get out of the tunnels. I admit, it looks good outside, but by virtue of the type of game it is and how much time is spent underground, it doesn't showcase its eye candy very well. Plus, with DOF, you can't even see the eye candy if it isn't right in front of you...

Interestingly, it does look like the Metro 2033 charts give a pretty accurate picture of the performance of a GTX 465... but that's probably because tesselation isn't used much. On the whole, it looks like the 465 is much, much closer to the 5830 than the 5850, which is epic fail IMO. Too bad, if they had enabled another SM it might have really been competitive. But that's probably a decision that was made by yields more than anything else.
Old May 31, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

At these prices....it looks like a 5850 will be in my future and not a 465. Damn shame, but it really seems to be over priced for me.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 31, 2010, 02:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I know its not but it damn well looks close to a rebranded GTX275
Old May 31, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Would be interested to see how 2 x 465's SLI compare to 2 x 5850's XFire.....see how the "scaling" compares....

Old May 31, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In the EVGA article,
Quote:
Since each wafer will always hold some dies that will have a good portion of their CUDA cores working, these are used for lower-end cards like the GTX 470 and GTX 465.
Did you mean not working?

Quote:
I agree. However, I love taking out my old games every now and then and that's where the new AA modes really come into play. There's nothing like using SSAA in Homeworld, the original Dawn of War, Half Life Ep 2 or even SimCity 4.
How do you use these new AA settings? Enable them in the drivers?

Finished reading the review. Excellent review as always. However, as everyone's saying, the card is overpriced. Unless the FERMI cards are held back by bad drivers, I can say with confidence that I'd be buying an ATI GPU instead, even though ATI yields terrible PPD atm.

Last edited by geokilla; May 31, 2010 at 03:05 PM.