Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2010, 09:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default 5870 Vapor or EVGA 470+ and warranty question

Hey Everyone,
I'm trying to bite the bullet and decide what I'm getting for a new GPU in my tower at home. I've narrowed it down to either the Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 1GB or the EVGA Superclocked+ 470 GTX. Has anyone had any experience with the Superclocked+ 470 GTX? I don't expect it to be as quiet as the Vapor-X, but as long as it's not egregiously loud I might jump to team green.

More importantly, how is EVGA for Warranty? I know they offer a lifetime warranty, but are they reasonable/good to deal with? Has anyone had any personal RMA experience? I really like the idea of a better warranty than Sapphire's 2 year 'go-to-store' warranty, but I'm not sure that in two years I won't want to upgrade anyway.

Any insights or experience you can provide would be great.
Thanks,
Knight
Old May 25, 2010, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Both are very good Cards..

Evga Support is great......browse this link for many answers..
EVGA GeForce 400 Series
Old May 26, 2010, 05:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm running the base level Sapphire 5870 and i am very happy with its performance, its overclock and temperatures i get while running the fan at 30 or 40% (40% is when the fan speed on the base model of the 5870 with sapphire starts to make noise).
Old May 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've had good luck with Sapphire warranty for my HD4890 Vapor-X from Direct Canada. Got in touch with Sapphire directly and then they forwarded me to their 3rd party handler. From there I dropped it off at their office (Markham, ON) and paid $25 I think? Then the card was shipped to me the next week. Took like 3 weeks for the entire process.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the input guys (or girls). It's good to hear that Saph's warranty process is pretty painless, if a bit short in period.

Does anyone know if the 470s are running anymore efficiently or cooling with the new drivers? I realize it hasn't been that long since release, but as quite a few people cried 'OMG wait till nVidia drivers is better ATI den all your bases will belong to us' I'm curious if there's been much improvement (on any fronts).
Old May 27, 2010, 01:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Decided to go with the Vapor-x in the end. The EVGA looks like a really good product, but after looking at lots of benches on the types of games I usually play (anything by bioware, rpgs, and maybe one or two FPSs) I found the 5870 usually performed a bit better at my resolution and settings, the lower temps and power consumption were a nice addition two, and I can always crossfire my with my current PSU, but I'm not as sure with the 470s. Thanks again everyone for your help
Old May 28, 2010, 10:15 AM
Top Prospect

Sorry to hijack your thread ! !
Acutally I am just going pm directly :D