Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Imo, the only reason I'd get the reference is so the hot hair exhausts into the back of the case and out into the "atmosphere". Otherwise, the non-reference is good enough. So judging from your posts technix, exactly why do you want reference? The value for when you sell the card back out say half a year later?
Old June 5, 2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Imo, the only reason I'd get the reference is so the hot hair exhausts into the back of the case and out into the "atmosphere". Otherwise, the non-reference is good enough. So judging from your posts technix, exactly why do you want reference? The value for when you sell the card back out say half a year later?
I stated the reason in my previous post (just read above) but that's the other reason...the one you just expressed above.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:01 AM
Trial Member

I know this is an old thread however, I feel the readers should know that XFX will attempt to pull a fast one on you...if you let them.

I sent a defective video card to XFX and they tried to send me back a different model. The warranty I had was the older warranty which didn't include the clause that states they could switch my card with a different one. XFX attempted to impose their newly written warranty upon my purchase and refused to ship to me the same card that I purchased. Long story short, I sued them. Yesterday 6/1/2012 I received a judgment against them in the amount of $585.00.

A special thanks goes out to Brian at XFX who stated they had the right to ship a different product because I signed the waiver they ask to be signed when you return a defective product (even though I didn't sign it), to Ryan Dumas who sent a different card to me and refused to send the correct one, to Erik who refused to issue a prepaid postage label to return their wrongfully shipped item, to Mark C. who said my lawsuit wasn't going to accomplish anything and a special thanks to Lloyd Lees, their marketing manager, who lacked the ability to provide a proper defense at trial.

I must say, I really enjoyed raking their ass across the coals for their bait n switch operation. I did this all at the Rancho Cucamonga small claims court from the convenience of my home while sitting in my underwear (appearance by telephone). It was a great pleasure to stick it to XFX after hearing all the crap they've been dealing out to the consumers they do business with and for all the crap they tried to pull on me.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GluteusMaximus View Post
I know this is an old thread however, I feel the readers should know that XFX will attempt to pull a fast one on you...if you let them.

I sent a defective video card to XFX and they tried to send me back a different model. The warranty I had was the older warranty which didn't include the clause that states they could switch my card with a different one. XFX attempted to impose their newly written warranty upon my purchase and refused to ship to me the same card that I purchased. Long story short, I sued them. Yesterday 6/1/2012 I received a judgment against them in the amount of $585.00.

A special thanks goes out to Brian at XFX who stated they had the right to ship a different product because I signed the waiver they ask to be signed when you return a defective product (even though I didn't sign it), to Ryan Dumas who sent a different card to me and refused to send the correct one, to Erik who refused to issue a prepaid postage label to return their wrongfully shipped item, to Mark C. who said my lawsuit wasn't going to accomplish anything and a special thanks to Lloyd Lees, their marketing manager, who lacked the ability to provide a proper defense at trial.

I must say, I really enjoyed raking their ass across the coals for their bait n switch operation. I did this all at the Rancho Cucamonga small claims court from the convenience of my home while sitting in my underwear (appearance by telephone). It was a great pleasure to stick it to XFX after hearing all the crap they've been dealing out to the consumers they do business with and for all the crap they tried to pull on me.

Congrats!...and this has to be one of the best first posts I have seen in a nice while!

Hope you stick around. We are mfg'er agnostic here w/ very...very few fanbois.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 2, 2012, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect

I was on his side until I read the story elsewhere. Apparently this idiot was complaining that he got a GTX 260 in return for an 8800 ultra which i'm sure no retailer stocks anymore. So he got a free upgrade which is 20% faster than the 8800 ultra but he wasn't pleased. Alrighty.

Good stuff, no wonder lifetime warranties are a thing of the past.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GluteusMaximus View Post

This made me chuckle, I would have raged on them had this happened to me but for going that extra mile.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by velias View Post
I was on his side until I read the story elsewhere. Apparently this idiot was complaining that he got a GTX 260 in return for an 8800 ultra which i'm sure no retailer stocks anymore. So he got a free upgrade which is 20% faster than the 8800 ultra but he wasn't pleased. Alrighty.

Good stuff, no wonder lifetime warranties are a thing of the past.
From my own reading, sounds like a messy situation altogether. As best I can tell, the sticking point was simply that XFX didn't bother asking, but simply dictated how the replacement of an EOL item was going to happen. And the product sold was under an older agreement that didn't actually give them the leeway they needed to get away with it.

I suppose I'd technically have to side with him, but it would be close. The company isn't obligated to bend over backwards just because the card is now EOL and you've gone and watercooled stuff, or SLI'd it with a similar model. If I thought that XFX had offered a replacement with equivalent processing power to a pair of 8800U's (seriously, even a 460 wouldn't have set them back much, and has more processing power), I suspect my sympathy would have dried up pretty quick.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

while you guys flaming him
freind of mine was in same situation with evga
they send him 2 280s;) just because he had the 8800's in sli

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old June 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
esterday I got a Bill from Fedex, XFX Wants me to Pay the shipping on the card
Are you sure that it is for shipping and not duties/brokerage fees that the Fedex incorrectly assessed???

I ask because after an XFX RMA fedex claimed I owed them brokerage fees on the return shipping.