Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Why should they pay your custom taxes, ie GST? It's not their business to pay your GST on the goods that you import. This is charged by Fedex by the way and not XFX.
I don't expect them too, but this is not what I was talking about at all.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You shouldn't have to pay any brokerage fees on an RMA. It should be labeled as such and therefore shouldn't have any charge. I've never paid anything on an RMA.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$10 for what? custom fees? Shipping? Special request? Missing Screws?

We as mature users should not come to such quick conclusions without knowing the full story.

Last time I RMA an XFX card it cost $35 to ship with Canada Post and XFX shipped back with FEDEX and there were no custom fees nor collect shipping.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:05 PM
Allstar

The Fee is from CBSA. Canada Border services agency, By FedEx Ground.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
The Fee is from CBSA. Canada Border services agency, By FedEx Ground.
What a loop.

Old May 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Allstar

Is that a Smake or a crack LOL ?
Old June 5, 2010, 11:36 AM
Banned

'Bumping this in case anyone cares... well, it depends on whether my findings are accurate or true.

I don't think XFX is selling any more reference 5770 cards. I guess a lot of guys here are going for the 5850 cards so they might not care but I thought it is interesting especially if you decide to pursue a 5770 card and want a reference card.

On NCIX, the ones that look like they are reference (with rectangular shroud - is that description okay/good enough?) are not. Same with the one that looks like it but has the 'XXX' gaming edition model number. Someone on newegg mentioned it only has 1 crossfire connector.

I read through the thread here how to assess whether it's a reference card or not:

How to tell which card is reference design?

I was considering a XFX 5770 card (if I even went for a 5770) for the warranty but I want a reference card.

I'll probably consider a Sapphire card, now. I think the reference models are available still and if so, hopefully they are at the local stores who only have 5770 Sapphire and Asus cards.

Anybody agree with my perspective or am I being overly critical here? I like a lifetime warranty but then the fact the card isn't reference pcb might reduce the value of the card anyway... I'm not sure... it cancels out maybe? I dunno...

Wouldn't mind some feedback / comments on this... sorry to bump the thread if that's a no-no when it's getting old... let me know if this should have been a separate thread but I didn't think it'd be a topic that would have ongoing discussion...
Old June 5, 2010, 12:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video CARD- - HD577AZNFC In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX 875MHZ 1GB 5.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card - HD577AZNDC In Canada.

Both these are reference. the XXX seems to be BO at the moment.

If you don't plan on going tri-fire or watercooling route, the non-reference is fine. I got this one and i'm very satisfied with it. These cards will keep a better value cause of the double lifetime warranty (awesome). I'm planning on getting a second one when I'll need it.

Before being aware of the drivers issues (which are fixed now), I thought it was pretty bad since I could'nt overclock it at all (issue caused by dual monitors setup with all 5770's). since catalyst 10,05, I run my 5770 at 945/1380 stable.
Old June 5, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I just got a real response from XFX after a week of COPY+PASTE replies. I tell them my GPU core temps are never above 56 degrees Celsius and they give me a standardized CHECK YOUR TEMPS answer.
So they tell me my card was registered too late for the double lifetime warranty. Ok so maybe I was like a week late, but most good companies are pretty lenient with that.

I'm sticking with EVGA and trying ZOTAC now.
Seriously guys they don't make it more obvious to register your card. You cannot blame them for you not registering the card. You get screwed over for being late with rebates. I think why you would expect different from a warranty placement baffles me.

And as Lowfat and some of the others pointed out the charge you got is from customs which has nothing to do with XFX. Its the shaft we get from living in Canada and having all the depots in America. And 9.99 or 20 dollars for an upgrade i do not see why someone would complain. When you have spent over 6 bills you worry about 20 dollars. It seems a little weird to me, why someone would spend so much on a video card in the first place baffles me and then complains about a 10-20 dollar charge to get an upgrade?

I know you dont expect them to but the real culprit is fed ex. And they have to put the real cost because what happens if the card goes missing? Im sure they would lose on the insurance of the card cost.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old June 5, 2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post

Both these are reference. the XXX seems to be BO at the moment.

If you don't plan on going tri-fire or watercooling route, the non-reference is fine. I got this one and i'm very satisfied with it. These cards will keep a better value cause of the double lifetime warranty (awesome). I'm planning on getting a second one when I'll need it.

Before being aware of the drivers issues (which are fixed now), I thought it was pretty bad since I could'nt overclock it at all (issue caused by dual monitors setup with all 5770's). since catalyst 10,05, I run my 5770 at 945/1380 stable.
Actually, they're not reference. Why do you think they are?

Read the NCIX comments. People claim it only has one crossfire connector and this is one sign it's not reference. Skim through the link (thread) I provided which is a post on this forum. There's another link which has someone explain how to tell.

On the newegg reviews, someone says their XXX card only has the one connector. It looks like they're not making the reference cards anymore and are 'switching over' to these (hence, the low stock?).

The problem is the block/shroud (whatever) looks like the reference models so you can't tell until you look on the back. Thanks big time to that person who posted the pictures because otherwise, if you're really gung ho on getting a reference one, you will end up buying the 'wrong' one.

I suppose the Sapphire and Diamond ones still are reference. I guess it doesn't matter but I think XFX is offering cards that 'remove' some options under the guise it's a reference card. I don't like that.

The warranty is good, though. But, the Sapphire card I could pick up locally and AFAIK will be reference. I don't know if I'll go for a 5770 anyway but at least I should be able to get a look in person to confirm. The only reason I'd go for a non-XFX card would be a reference card or if there's some feature/advantage that I'd get with a different brand.

P.S. I believe those you quoted have 'slight differences' which result in less voltage options. Not a big deal but the "change" has resulted in confusion and uncertainty. I'm sure some people will say that's being a bit fussy but some people want the voltage options. I just think a reference card will give something consistent (in form of operation, temps, power etc.) but then I might not even overclock or need the voltage adjustment options. I'm just saying this is a case in which you have to be careful if you want something specific since the hardware looks similar but has critical differences. I'm no expert, though. Someone else should state whether my 'findings' mean anything. I don't want to spread false info.

Last edited by technix; June 5, 2010 at 01:25 PM.