Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2007, 08:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default XFX 8800GT very hot

Hello,got new XFX8800GT Friday,problem started after less than 10 min of playing COD4&Crysis,comp shut down.After trying many times to play notice temps for GPU at 94C at shut down,loaded Riva Tuner and noted fan set at 29%.This cards fan do's not speed up as temps rise,set fan at 60% full time in RivaTuner and temps stay under 75C under full load.Is any one have same temp problems as this ,funny thing about this card notice only 2C difference at 600/1500/1800 and700/1700/2000.I don't think you should have to use 3rd party software to use a 300$ GPU.
Old November 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

They all run hot... but you could slap an Accelero S1 on it and take care of the problem. Just did it this morning with mine - 2 low-speed Yate Loons on top. Load temps are great using Rivatuner and AtiTool, 48C after 10 minutes @ 760Mhz, 1635Mhz for shaders and mem at 1015Mhz.

John
Old November 12, 2007, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are those things blowing the heat out inside the case? I assume so since they're single slot- need some H2O blocks to come out for these babies.
Old November 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Are those things blowing the heat out inside the case? I assume so since they're single slot- need some H2O blocks to come out for these babies.
Its not that they run hot the fan speed runs to low for them. You need to load up nTune or RivaTuner (whichever you can use) and set the fan speed to duty cycle of about 45% as thats where the max is before you'll hear the card. Yes these cards don't exhaust well out of the system.

The acclero S1 is a great choice for this card and works very well, if you read my thread on the video card you'd see my idle temps are 38 and my load temp is 45.
Old November 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well i got email back from XFX saying that fan speed go's up after 80C,well my card do's not go up in speed at any temp till it shuts down at about 96C ,this at stock settings.With fan speed set at 50% in RivaTuner,temp just over 70C playing Crysis,but i don't think it OK that i have to use RivaTuner to use this card.XFX has a great warranty so i think i may RMA after XMAS when they may have some cards with newer revision's,and use RivaTuner till then.
Old November 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorBuzzon View Post
Well i got email back from XFX saying that fan speed go's up after 80C,well my card do's not go up in speed at any temp till it shuts down at about 96C ,this at stock settings.With fan speed set at 50% in RivaTuner,temp just over 70C playing Crysis,but i don't think it OK that i have to use RivaTuner to use this card.XFX has a great warranty so i think i may RMA after XMAS when they may have some cards with newer revision's,and use RivaTuner till then.
Are you using Vista or XP?
Run nothing but ATI Tool and see if the fan kicks in as it may not kick in fast enough.

What type of case do you have cause cooling will play a major role.
Old November 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At this site here Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT graphics chip | Reg Hardwarethey did a few tests and I will qoute what they said "During our testing, the cooler got very hot and was at least 20C hotter than the 8800 GTS we used for comparison. However, the graphics chip remained cooler and was happy to overclock, which suggests that the GT's cooler is very efficient." so maybe a extra fan in the case might cool down the inside
Old November 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
At this site here Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT graphics chip | Reg Hardwarethey did a few tests and I will qoute what they said "During our testing, the cooler got very hot and was at least 20C hotter than the 8800 GTS we used for comparison. However, the graphics chip remained cooler and was happy to overclock, which suggests that the GT's cooler is very efficient." so maybe a extra fan in the case might cool down the inside
I have 2x120mm fans blowing directly over my expansion cards plus the 120mm fan on my video card and its nice and cool in my case.
Old November 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Antec 900 with3x120mm intake 2x120mm&1 200mm exhaust,plus power supply 120mm.My 6420 stay under 36C under 100% load ,OC to 3.4GHz so i have major air flow.Tryed ATI Tool and watched temps go up to 96C under Actifact scan until shut down,no fan speed change heard ,this at stock with no Riva tuner fan control.Removed fan and used some Arctic Silver5 on GPU (love XFX ok by there warranty)with no change,could this fan speed problem be in card BIOS or Driver,tryed all 4 display drivers that worked with 8800GT with no change,must be bad card
Old November 12, 2007, 02:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This will explain why.