Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   ATI 5000 series S-Video or Composite Out (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/32201-ati-5000-series-s-video-composite-out.html)

jonnypage May 17, 2010 01:32 PM

ATI 5000 series S-Video or Composite Out

I can't seem to find this information anywhere. I am building a new computer for presentation purposes, and I'd like to put 2x 5570 or 5670 in it, but the only way we can get the signal to the projector (it's ~300 ft away) right now is via s-video/composite.

I can't find anywhere if there

a) is a 5000 series card with a s-video port out (doubt it)
b) if I can use a vga > s-video adapter and get the desired result.

Anyone have any experience with the 5000 series and svideo/composite?

If it cannot, can an nVidia 200 series do this?

Maplicito May 17, 2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnypage (Post 379263)
I can't seem to find this information anywhere. I am building a new computer for presentation purposes, and I'd like to put 2x 5570 or 5670 in it, but the only way we can get the signal to the projector (it's ~300 ft away) right now is via s-video/composite.

I can't find anywhere if there

a) is a 5000 series card with a s-video port out (doubt it)
b) if I can use a vga > s-video adapter and get the desired result.

Anyone have any experience with the 5000 series and svideo/composite?

If it cannot, can an nVidia 200 series do this?

I tried a DVI to s-video adaptor on my 5870 - no luck. I could get a signal to my tv, but nothing clear. I suspect it's because the TV has a refresh rate of 30Hz, and I couldn't get the card to go below 60Hz. I added a 3650 to my system for TV-out, and that works fine, but obviously I'm not doing anything like gaming on the TV.

Cheator May 18, 2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maplicito (Post 379441)
I tried a DVI to s-video adaptor on my 5870 - no luck. I could get a signal to my tv, but nothing clear. I suspect it's because the TV has a refresh rate of 30Hz, and I couldn't get the card to go below 60Hz. I added a 3650 to my system for TV-out, and that works fine, but obviously I'm not doing anything like gaming on the TV.

It won't matter too much at that res anyway. I doubt games would go that low in their resolutions with tweaking their config files.

Silvgearx May 18, 2010 05:08 PM

ATI 5000 series no long support composite video. Even if you buy the adapter, it is only a physical socket change, and no signal can be sent. The only way I know is to use a VGA to composite converter.

For direct S-video out you can use ATI 2000 series -ATI 4000 series.

As for Nvidia series none of them work directly(I only tested on 8800-200 series).

Ohh and I even tested on an x1650pro and 9200SE AGP, they both works as long as you set it to force TV detection. :punk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheator (Post 379579)
It won't matter too much at that res anyway. I doubt games would go that low in their resolutions with tweaking their config files.

??

Cheator May 19, 2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX (Post 379735)
ATI 5000 series no long support composite video. Even if you buy the adapter, it is only a physical socket change, and no signal can be sent. The only way I know is to use a VGA to composite converter.

For direct S-video out you can use ATI 2000 series -ATI 4000 series.

As for Nvidia series none of them work directly(I only tested on 8800-200 series).

Ohh and I even tested on an x1650pro and 9200SE AGP, they both works as long as you set it to force TV detection. :punk:

??

I do have my 9500GT hooked up via composite actually, and svideo works too. The breakout cable that it comes with does that for you.

As for your question, marks, what i meant was most games these days might not support the low resolution you get with an SD signal

Silvgearx May 19, 2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheator (Post 379946)
I do have my 9500GT hooked up via composite actually, and svideo works too. The breakout cable that it comes with does that for you.

As for your question, marks, what i meant was most games these days might not support the low resolution you get with an SD signal

Well your the first time I heard someone got it working, care to share? I would love to ditch the ati and go nvidia, moar folding power :biggrin:.

When it comes to composite we are talking about s-video to RCA/YPbPr right. What driver did you use? Did you had to use hacked drivers?

jonnypage May 22, 2010 09:53 PM

Thanks guys, I saw a few nvidia 9500's with a dedicated s-video out, guess those will have to work.