Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2010, 09:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS Radeon HD 5870 1GB V2 Review Comment Thread

When we originally previewed the ASUS HD 5870 V2, there was a lot of interest since it was supposed to bring something unique to the graphics card market: a custom card that was supposed to completely replace the reference model with the ASUS lineup. With the "V2" finally making its rounds at retailers throughout North America, we thought it was time to see if it delivers on its promises.

ASUS Radeon HD 5870 1GB V2 Review
Old May 10, 2010, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good review you say that it gets noisy what that be louder then a bfg 285gtx I know my card can get a little noise at times.
I do like the performance of the 5870 and it looks like it does run a little cooler
Old May 10, 2010, 11:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Good review; bad product. Well, not bad exactly, just not any better than the reference. You could probably get similar cooling performance and noise from a reference card by making a simple custom fan profile in afterburner... Maybe quieter. You're basically paying more for a new bios, a better looking card, and voltage tweak. Which isn't worth much if the chip won't clock.

I broke down and bought an XFX 5850 for $330 from a local shop, it clocks to 900/1275 as simply as moving the sliders in afterburner, and outperforms this card at stock. Feels like a steal of a deal!
Old May 11, 2010, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

I really like the look of this card. Also, it seems like there is quite a few improvements here and there.

The issue is: another 5870 that sells for a little more $$$. $20 is not much, well NCIX sell it for $479 (Back Order right now tho).

$20 more for a stock card that doesn't like overclocking and is not the performance king (single GPU) anymore? Also, the PCI-E connectors at the end of the card....WRONG! The 8 pin PCI-E is also wrong. Ok it's supposed to help reaching higher overclocks, but in this case, it didn't help, as there is not "GPU binning" going on with this card. We all know that the 5870s, especially the latter ones aren't OCing really well. I'm sure a few people will still jump on the reference design over this one just for for these reasons.

If they want to "milk" the HD5870 in these FERMI days, ATI vendors have to drop the price and ATI/AMD to increase perf. via drivers to get closer in perf.to the GTX480, while pricing the 5870 like the GTX470, or it won't work IMHO. ATI/AMD should also keep going on the ATI STREAM front and come with something more that words....

I was almost regretting getting my XFX reference design instead of waiting for this, when I seen the announcements for the ASUS V2. Now I'm glad I did buy the XFX Reference. It was cheaper ($425) and lifetime waranty, 2 X 6pin PCI-e (my PSU doesn't have a 8pin), and the connectors are on the top corner...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; May 11, 2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A disappointing mediocre product from asus in all departments except looks. The dust proof fan is also a nice touch, if it works, but why are they touting the in line fuse? Sure the fuse will blow instead of killing the circuitry, but at the end of the day, the consumer still has a dead card unless they're making it a user-replaceable part, which i doubt since it isn't included in the accessories.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with everyone else for the most part. Looks amazing, but for the extra cost, it's highly questionable if it's even worth it. Excellent review.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
A disappointing mediocre product from asus in all departments except looks. The dust proof fan is also a nice touch, if it works, but why are they touting the in line fuse? Sure the fuse will blow instead of killing the circuitry, but at the end of the day, the consumer still has a dead card unless they're making it a user-replaceable part, which i doubt since it isn't included in the accessories.
I should have made this a bit clearer: when one fuse blows, your card still functions. When the next one blows, your card is dead.

What I would have liked is a simple user-replacable fuse.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why not a resetable fuse?
Old May 11, 2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Why not a resetable fuse?
Could be due to anything from UL approval to sourcing to cost.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:40 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Good review Sky, I really appreciated how in the OC results you put the values from some other custom cards up as well so it's easier for readers to appreciate which card they want. Whenever you're reviewing a custom card I'd almost like to see a Vapor-X or a Lightning stacked up against it in the FPS benchmarks, but that's adding more work to already impressive reviews.

All in all seems like a nice card, it's definitely aesthetically appealing, but fan noise and stock performance wouldn't convince me to go with this over a quieter custom 5870