Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2010, 01:51 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I don't assume there is such a thing as a "real" case since people's case selection is dependant on a ton of factors. There are many people out there (myself included) who would be more than happy to cheap out on a case that no one will ever see if it allowed them a larger GPU or CPU budget.

My main system has been in a Sonata II for the last five years simply because I have seen no reason to upgrade it. So, why shouldn't our readers be made aware of something that could potentially cause upgrade issues? Cable routing be damned. ;)
Old May 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I would highly prefer this card over vanilla 5870's just because the power connectors are on the back. I understand what you're saying about people not having enough room, but asus didn't design this card with them in mind, they designed it with enthusiasts+real cases in mind
It's a case of eCASE (read epeen L33T)!!!!

I have an ANTEC 300 and ok, it's not as great as a HAF, but manufacturers HAVE to accomodate most people. My vanilla HD5870 is REALLY close to the HDD cage...maybe a 1/4" gap. So with both connectors on the end + bended wires, of course it wouldn't fit, unless I'd "dremel tool" the case interior. Also FERMI GTX480 HAS both connectors on the side and FERMI 480 IS an enthusiast card also, same thing to be said of the HD5970. Even the "vanilla" HD5870 is an enthusiast card according to STEAM survey (something like ONLY 2%-3% of STEAM users run a HD5800-series card on the survey). That includes a whole lot of HD5850, and a little bit of HD5870...(no proportion of 5850/70 in stats)

BTW STEAM survey is NOT a great reference, but at least it brings numbers to the table.

So ASUS matrix, with 2 X 8pins (another annoyance) on the end is a FAIL!

My two cents.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; May 12, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I don't assume there is such a thing as a "real" case since people's case selection is dependant on a ton of factors. There are many people out there (myself included) who would be more than happy to cheap out on a case that no one will ever see if it allowed them a larger GPU or CPU budget.

My main system has been in a Sonata II for the last five years simply because I have seen no reason to upgrade it. So, why shouldn't our readers be made aware of something that could potentially cause upgrade issues? Cable routing be damned. ;)
true, true... fair enough, but don't point this out as a disadvantage. Personally, it is a very good advantage and this is a winner for me over the reference just because of power plug locations. Here's an example of what I'm talking about, why the plugs on the back would be so much easier. Clean enough yes, but if the plugs my my 260 were on the back it'd be sooo much nicer *drools*
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2010, 08:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Very nice! I need to learn how to do that...
Old May 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anyone actually have one of these cards and have OC'd it themselves?
Old May 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
Rookie

I got this card a week ago to go with my Rampage III Extreme. With CCC 10.4, it autotuned from 850MHz to 1010MHz core, and 1300MHz ram. But of course it is rather unstable at those speeds. With OCCT GPU stability test, I was able to find a max stable OC of 960MHz on the core with default volts of 1.13v.
With SmartDoctor, and Vcore set to 1.25v, I was able to attain a stable 1GHz core clock, but the temperature was extremely high; with fans set to 100%, OCCT GPU test had the temps shoot up to the high 80s.
I'm sure if this card is put under water, it can be pushed even further; as the max Vcore allowed by SmartDoctor is 1.35v.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Good to hear we had a "freak" sample that didn't clock too well AT ALL.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:46 AM
Trial Member

Default Mine's OK

Mine OCs just as well as the earlier Voltage Tweak editions based on the reference design: 1000 MHz Core, 1250 MHz memory (Samsung GDDR5....) at 1.34V. I'm going to try and go a little lower on the voltage, but's that's at least .01V less than many of the review sites used to get their OCs when they reviewed the original VT edition.

I AM having trouble running Smart Doctor with Crysis. I seem to remember other having the issue a few months back... basically, it runs at low single digit FPS, where it should be in the thirties. FWIW, I have version 5.55 of Smart Doctor on the install disk, which is newer than what is available on the ASUS support site.

IMHO, the new cooler is better than reference, as the copper heat sink fins move the heat away from the heatpipes quicker. With the fan at 80% (~4000 RPM) (===LOUD===), my max temps with any benchmark, including Furmark, is 58C at ambient of 26C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueblade View Post
Anyone actually have one of these cards and have OC'd it themselves?