Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2007, 05:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Funny how everyone jumped on that but no one thought it may have been a typo?
Old November 7, 2007, 05:52 PM
Trial Member

So, in Your opinion, we shouldn't be waiting for G92 8800GTS?

If so, then its quite dissapointing... I live in Poland and here the avalability of 8800GT is !! T.R.A.G.I.C.A.L. !! Even if some store sells it - the price is... Well - ~1000PLN (which equals ~367 canadian dollars for 8800GT while typical salary is ~1500PLN - 550can.d.!) is 'a little bit' too much IMO. I was really hoping, that G92 GTS will come in greater number and less abnormal price pumping by resellers due to bad avalability. :/

BTW - great review. Also can't wait to see those OC numbers. Especially i wonder how those graphs will look with SSC@~1500MHz Shader Clock ;)

Namaste,
musek

Last edited by musek; November 7, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old November 7, 2007, 08:26 PM

I can't say anything about upcoming products whether they exist or not.

Yet, sometimes I have to question the use of waiting for what amounts to rumors and not much else. If we all did that, no one would ever buy another GPU, CPU or ram because something bigger and better wil always be around the corner. Sure, I am positive Nvidia has something coming that will knock our socks off...and so will ATI. But there is one thing you should ask yourself....

Will it cost less than $450?
Old November 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am waiting because of my step up program with EVGA. That is the reason why I bought my 8800 GTS 329 mb as a card that will last till I step up. So I wait.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
Rookie

Why not make this a fair comparison in order for users to realize what real benefit they can get by getting this card over the 8800GT. Why compare and overclocked 8800gts to a plain vanilla 8800gt? Doesnt make sense to me.
Almost everyone is getting 700mhz with the 8800gt and thats evga's fastest so why not run tests for that one and see how things look...that will give us a better reference.

Regards
Old November 8, 2007, 10:56 AM

The stock 8800GT gives a good point of reference. The problem with using pre-overclocked cards in this case is that every manufacturer clocks their overclocked cards to different frequencies. Heck, even EVGA, XFX and Sparkle (to name a few) have up to FOUR differently clocked 8800GT cards in their lineups. So, how to choose just one clock setting when they are all different? There just is no way so stock settings are the way to go. Finally, as production increases, you will start seeing larger price differences between overclocked and non-overclocked versions as right now manufacturers like EVGA have not even started shipping their non-overclocked cards. When this starts to happen you will see a gradual downswing in the popularity of the pre-overclocked versions. FINALLY, it should also be said that MANY people are buying the non-overclocked versions from ASUS, PNY, Gigabyte and other companies.
Old November 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Then why use the OCed version for the 8800gts? You contradict yourself there.
I am not pointing fingers I am trying to get a better picture as the way I see it, compared to how my 8800gt performs OCed....the difference with the new card are either very small to non existant in most cases. I disagree that the stock 8800gt gives a good reference since the extra 100mhz core and bumped up shader speed makes for a substantial performance increase.

Regards
Old November 8, 2007, 11:15 AM

At the time of this review (and even now) the 112SP 8800GTS cards are ONLY overclocked. There were/are no stock clocked 8800GTS cards with 112SPs from any manufacturers around and even now they have not been shipped out to my knowledge. At the same time I am reviewing a particular card from a manufacturer which is pre-overclocked (and not an Nvidia reference design) so I am thinking that EVGA would not look too fairly upon me if I started underclocking their review sample....Yet, you do bring up good points and I appreciate you posting here and bringing them up. To tell you the truth, I had some VERY long conversations with quite a few people over these exact questions. :)
Old November 8, 2007, 11:21 AM
Rookie

I appreciate your review as well trust me, I just think that by adding the results of a SCC 8800gt the review will be much better for people trying to decide which way to go. As of right now, someone reading has to wonder if the SCC 8800GT will close the gap, surpass or at least match the GTS. Basically one cant really tell if its the clock speeds making the difference.
Hard to make a decision without that info and something I am pretty sure many will appreciate.

Thanks again

Last edited by shaolin95; November 8, 2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old November 8, 2007, 11:27 AM

You are definately right and these Comment / Update threads give me the unique opportunity to add more content that couldn't be included in the review itself. While I don't think the EVGA Superclocked Edition should have been included in the review. I was already planning on doing a few charts of max overclock vs max overclock between this card and the EVGA 8800GT SC. So, it is already in the works....no worries about that. I just didn't want to spill the beans since it may take a little while. I am sure you will appreciate the additions....