Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX 480 stock

For those of you in Canada, www.memoryexpress.com has some GTX 480's in stock from multiple brands. I managed to grab an eVGA GTX 480 a couple days ago.

Antec Three Hundred Gamer Case
Intel Core-i5 3570k at 4GHz
Asus P8Z68M-PRO
12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
Diamond Radeon 5870 1GB
500GB Seagate HDD 64MB Cache
Silverstone 500w Silent
Old May 2, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile GTX 480

What's your initial impressions of your new card?
Old May 2, 2010, 08:06 AM
Rookie

What kind of temps are you getting?
Old May 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile GTX 480

I was also wondering if you'll be going sli?
Old May 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
i got one too, i'd reply to that: not as bad as people make it seems so.

temps:
universal WB Koolance GPU-220, ambient~20oC, 980x crunching for WCG, rads=2x mcr320+1xmcr220
idle =~41oC
load = <53oC

btw
directcanada.com have MSI in stock for 529$
that's where i got mine a few weeks ago
canadacomputers.com have msi too but at 579$

Last edited by mkultra; May 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:17 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Well I'll make sure this is detailed, seeing as I know some other people were like me having a 5870 and debating whether to switch it for the GTX 480.

First impressions were underwhelming for most games. It didn't seem any different because I mean, where in most games I'm getting 100+ fps with the 5870 anyway, so too was I with the GTX 480, just maybe 130+ fps instead. Gameplay-wise though, no discernable difference.

Also Crysis is a weird one, where the first game is only a few frames per second faster than a 5870, Crysis Warhead is noticeably faster. Like 8 fps faster, which doesn't sound like a whole lot but for Crysis thats night and day.

The games I noticed measurable differences though, and they were BIG differences... Were DiRT 2, where I am ~20fps faster, Just Cause 2 where the CUDA water effects and Bokeh filter are applied (and very, very pretty), obviously any PhysX games like Batman, Metro 2033 is pretty incredible too, and where on my 5870 I had to disable a few features in order to keep it playable at around 30fps, the GTX 480 has no problem with anything I throw at it in that game.

Stalker is slower, but again it isn't noticeable as it was already running past 60fps and still is.

The biggest difference, honestly, and which is why I upgraded from a 5870... Was the minimum framerates, the frame buffer being larger at 1.5GB, and tesselation performance. Minimum framerates are hugely improved over the 5870, where Crysis would dip from around 38fps to 13 or 14fps in parts on my 5870, they drop now to around 32 or 33. Its a much more consistent experience on the GTX 480, so what it lacks in overall fps improvements it more than makes up for it in the minimum framerate department.

And as for framebuffer, the only game that it makes a difference in so far is GTA 4. When I forced the maximum effects on my 5870 by using the nomemlimit command, the game uses 1240 physical RAM on your video card, which overshoots my 5870's 1GB. Therefore, when gaming on max details it was completely unplayable, when you moved the camera it looked like it would skip 5 or 6 frames and just be really herky jerky. With the GTX 480 though, you still have 300MB to burn, and even when details are cranked to the max, the GTX 480 keeps things smooth thanks to that extra framebuffer space, and I actually ended up installing the ENB series mod which cranks the graphics up even more. It's really a sight to behold.

Tesselation performance is getting a paragraph all its own, because I think this is going to be the biggest DX11 feature other than improved multi-core usage. Using Unigine's Heaven 2.0 bench, framerates on the GTX 480 in heavily tesselated sections more than doubled. There's one specific scene where it hovers over a Dragon's scales, and during that part my 5870 was a steady 23fps, whereas with the GTX 480 its at 36fps. It's a class all it's own for tesselation, and if this feature is extensively used in DX11 titles in the future, nVIDIA has a huge advantage. Mind you, I doubt any game, ANY time soon will use tesselation to the extent of Unigine's bench, so the performance advantages probably won't rear their head for a solid 6 months at the least, when (hopefully) PC games really start taking advantage of DX11.

And last, temperatures and noise levels. Honestly I don't notice much of a difference in either respect. Yes, it runs hotter than my 5870, but only by around 8 or 9 degrees. The hottest I've gotten it with furmark running was 91 degrees celsius. Keep in mind though that I have a ton of fans in my case too, so in a normal system it will probably be approaching 100 degrees. nVIDIA has already claimed that this is within normal specs of the chip to run, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, I find it no louder than my 5870. When I'm gaming I don't listen for the whirr of the video card, so if I really tried to listen yeah I could probably hear it... But I could probably hear the 5870 too if I'm being that picky.

Hokay, so... To sum it up I'm very happy with the card. The performance is intimidating in tesselation, and I feel as though the GTX 480 provides a "smoother" experience when compared with a 5870 because of its improved minimum framerates. Was it worth selling my 5870 for and paying extra for the card? To me, yes it was, but your mileage may vary. I wanted PhysX, I wanted better tesselation, I wanted faster minimum framerates, and I wanted to feel more future-proof, and I feel as though I accomplished all those points in switching out the cards.

Any other questions or benchmarks I would be happy to run them for you guys! (Assuming I own the game/bench!)

Antec Three Hundred Gamer Case
Intel Core-i5 3570k at 4GHz
Asus P8Z68M-PRO
12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
Diamond Radeon 5870 1GB
500GB Seagate HDD 64MB Cache
Silverstone 500w Silent
Old May 3, 2010, 05:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile 480 GTX

Thanks for that great bit of insight. I wonder how it would perform against the 5970. In reviews it shows the ATI card killing anything until crossfire/SLI. Enjoy the new card. Glad you like it so much.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 5970 is a dual card and is $200 more. It is more powerful in every game except when heavy tessellation is used. If you want to game in DX11 in every future title I think tessellation is where it is going to matter most. So the 5970 is extremely fast in everything but tessellation.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 4, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just got confirmation from NCIX that my 2 x Evga GTX 480's are being shipped tomorrow ;)

Unfortunately I won't be home to "play" with them until 26th May .......

Old May 4, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thumbs up 480 GTX

I hope you really enjoy your new cards. Have fun!