Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default Radeon x850 XT PE opinions

I am looking for a card to hold me over until the new Ati cards come out. I want to see what they offer. I was going to buy a x1950 pro but I want to see what the new offerings are before I spend my cash. I have a radeon 7000 64mb now and it sucks badly.

Yeah, yeah I know x850 is a couple years old now but everything I read it says that it is a kick ass card even by todays standards. SKY likes it as I've read his posts in a few places.

I like the fact that it has 256 bit memory handling and refuse to buy a card without it as I keep reading about how 128 bit is not good enough and hasn't been for some time.

I also keep reading that this card can be clocked to around 700/700 which is pretty respectable. This card kicked Nvidia's ass all over the place a couple years ago.

It seems to be able to run many current games well.

I will mention that I run on a 22" LCD and that I won't need to run at max res and I don't mind it if all details are maxed or not. I want it to look good mind you but I don't mind if I need to tone it down a bit.

I'm basically looking for an ATi card that I can use until i decide what to do which will likely be sometime in the new year.

EDIT - I should add that I can get this cheap on Ebay so I dont want to spend more then like $50 or so right now. In the new year I'll want to spend around $200-300.
Old November 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nothing can touch it for the money and the only real drawback is it has no ShaderModel 3 capabilities. 700/700 is quite optimistic, I'd say closer to 650/650 is posible, but I had one and it was definitely beastly. It would run your LCD at native res at med/med high settings depending on the game. Would make a great backup card when you're done with it too.
Old November 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Nothing can touch it for the money and the only real drawback is it has no ShaderModel 3 capabilities. 700/700 is quite optimistic, I'd say closer to 650/650 is posible, but I had one and it was definitely beastly. It would run your LCD at native res at med/med high settings depending on the game. Would make a great backup card when you're done with it too.
Yeah, I read something about this Shader business. What real effect does not having this have? Is it a large noticeable difference?

Yes 650/650 I couldn't remember exactly so I just said ~700 hehe...hrm and that's a good point about keeping around for a backup...I didn't think of this I was going to just ebay it after I get my new one but perhaps I should keep it as we all know that hardware does stop working or we wouldn't have RMA's.

Thanks..keep it coming.
Old November 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well I have the x800 xt and yes I have never had any problems with games but the shader thing well it is a real hassle I had to go to shadershock and download the shadershock hack in order to play Bioshock but that hack only works for that game it is just that the new games ( allot of them) have that shader 3 crap just to get people to upgrade there cards( IMOHO)
Old November 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect

Hrm s it seems that this Shader stuff is a big deal dpending on what game one plays...Ima go and read up on this right now.

EDIT - Hrm I see what you mean now after reading about this...So basically I need a card that is Dx 9.0c capable if I deem that SS3 is a big deal to me. I was also looking at the x1650 that can be picked up rather cheaply but it only has a 128 bit memory handling system and that is no good. I was also thinking of the x1800 xt but that was short lived and is hard to find...

Last edited by qwerty; November 5, 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old November 7, 2007, 08:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have the Radeon X850 XT, and it is by far the best for your buck. It will compete with a lot of newer models. Love it so much I'm buying a second one in the PE model.
Old November 7, 2007, 08:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You REALLY don't have long to wait for the new ATI cards. Expect a review on Hardware Canucks of them when they are released. By the time you pay for the X850PE and it arrives at your door, something else from ATI will probably already have been released.
Old November 7, 2007, 08:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

OH I'll never deny that possibility. But it's still worth while. Used ones go for anywhere between $100 to $200. Unless ATI puts out a card just alittle above $200 and it's a super star in the GPU world, I would still recommend x850 for anyones system.
Old November 7, 2007, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the reply Chibi_man (wonders what the hell a Chibi is exactly...on second thought I don't want to know...).
I was going to grab a x850 XT PE for now then see what the ATi Gods bring us on Nov.19th. If good I may buy, if bad I can get a 1950XT. At any rate the 1950 xtx will be cheaper at that time as will all preceding ATi cards. Well that is what I holding out for anyhow...who knows...I'm getting sick and tired of everyone saying NVIDIA this and NVIDIA that...ATi had better bring it dammit and reclaim the crown so all these people can be quiet for a while...lol...

Yeah SKY, you're right, I'm sure of it. Problem is that I have only a Radeon 7000 64MB right now...hrm well maybe I should wait on he gpu because I am still waiting for my mobo and cpu to get shipped here whenever that will be :) and I still need to shop for RAM...I can and should wait I'm sure...I'm just impatient sometimes....I want to see results right now dammit! ;)

I gotta find out how to be a reviewer somewhere, someday so I can get some free swag sent to me...seems like a pretty good deal. Give your opinion, get free swag...not too hard. Be honest, don't write like a jerk and don't accept bribes.

Last edited by qwerty; November 7, 2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old November 7, 2007, 05:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

X850 XT was much better value when the hardly-at-all-faster 7800 GS AGP was introduced. And it still is.