CPU: 9550 @ 3.15
Ram: 8 gigs Patriot Viper Extreme 777 20
Cooler:Chilltec Ultra piezo electric
Sound Card: Creative X Fi Fatality Champion
HDD: 2-150 Raptors; 1-300 Raptor; 1 Samsung 500
DVD: LG dvd/rw w lightscribe
PSU: Corsair HX 1000
GPU: 2 XFX HD 5970 Black Edition
OS: Dual boot system 32 bit XP pro for CADD; 64 bit Vista for everything else, mainly gaming.

What I need help with is just how much performance and/or restrictions using a 2nd card in 16x8 will give me. I will be going to a different mobo and system eventually, but want to use them in this setup until going to either AMD or Intel when an Octocore or more comes out. If I was going to do it now the Gigabyte Extreme looks good because of the 16x1 slot location and spacing for the 2nd 16x16. I had my 2 cards beside each other to test and the 2nd card hit 101C as there wasn't even 1/4" of space between them. Anyway, I think 2 cards are better than 1, but wonder how much problem bottlenecking may cause.

Please understand that I am a beginner, and have enhanced this system with better performing hardware as time and money dictated.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking about PCIEX8 bandwidth issues?

-Plato
Old April 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm wondering if the x8 will severely restrict performance. Sorry about not being too clear but like I said, very green and not very knowledgeable about any stuff except maybe hardware. I've been reading new builds and others to help me piece together a good system, and thanks to all the great advice on various issues on this site,I can honestly say that my rig is pretty good, from a beginners point of view.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:58 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering if the x8 will severely restrict performance. Sorry about not being too clear but like I said, very green and not very knowledgeable about any stuff except maybe hardware. I've been reading new builds and others to help me piece together a good system, and thanks to all the great advice on various issues on this site,I can honestly say that my rig is pretty good, from a beginners point of view.

Thanks again for all the help.

techPowerUp :: GeForce GTX 480 PCI-Express Scaling Review :: Page 24 / 25

this is for gtx480 but it should apply +- to your case as well, i think

Old April 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So a 2nd card in x8 doesn 't really hurt performance. Excellent, thanks alot. If anyone has any more info for me to peruse it would be greatly appreciated. If I got it right, both will operate at x8.

Btw, is there a mobo you would recommend if I was going 1366?

Last edited by fishingfanatic; April 21, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
So a 2nd card in x8 doesn 't really hurt performance. Excellent, thanks alot. If anyone has any more info for me to peruse it would be greatly appreciated. If I got it right, both will operate at x8.

Btw, is there a mobo you would recommend if I was going 1366?
EVGA has bunch of good ones and different prices.
Old April 21, 2010, 06:41 PM
Banned
F@H

with lots of gpu power the cpu will be a bottleneck at certain resolutions,i guess.

but i wouldnt necessarily invest anything right now.
Old April 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I hear ya. If the price on AMDs is as I heard and the 12 core is coming down the pipe, I would probably go that route instead of spending large for an extreme Intel. After all, if it costs $300 for a 6 core black and $1100 for a 6 core extreme, well I think most anyone would likely use the saved money for maybe crossfire,...
Old April 22, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Ultimately Intel will also likely unveil a "Mainstream" 6 Core CPU......which will be around the $300 - $400 price......Extreme CPU's are extremely priced ......

Old April 22, 2010, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Ultimately Intel will also likely unveil a "Mainstream" 6 Core CPU......which will be around the $300 - $400 price......Extreme CPU's are extremely priced ......
I haven't seen any rumors or news to indicate this :(