Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Sapphire warranty for second owners? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/31069-sapphire-warranty-second-owners.html)

rogueblade April 16, 2010 12:53 AM

Sapphire warranty for second owners?

Hey guys, if I were to buy a used Sapphire 5870 would I still be covered by the remainder of the 2 year warranty period with just the serial number (like Asus), or do I have to be the original owner with proof of receipt blah etc?

FlyingFish April 16, 2010 01:32 AM

Sapphire doens't have a transferable warranty, only XFX does so you'd have to get the original owner to RMA it for you

Quote:

Sapphire VGA products carry a 2 year warranty with all enquires carried out through your initial place of purchase. This can only be carried out by the original purchaser Please contact your Dealer/Reseller for Warranty / RMA service. They will require proof of purchase which includes the original invoice/documentation.
Product Warranty will not be valid even if returned after purchased for the following cases:

Products that are defaced or physically damaged and modified by customer.
Products that become non-functional due to customer improper use.
Products that cannot be verified as Sapphire products.
Products that do not have a matching serial number between the product and the original receipt.
Products not sold from our official distributors or resellers.
GPU or ASIC device (VGA) is sensitive to thermal (heat) issue. The heat sink or fan is designed to meet the requirements for reliability of the product and the warranty is rendered invalid if the product is dismantled or the heat sink or cooler fan are removed as this may causes damage to the GPU or ASIC device . Non-compliance will cause the warranty of the product to be void and repair will be at the users cost.
Currently Sapphire does not directly provide any warranty extensions. Please contact your reseller or distributor for any 3rd party warranty extensions that may be available through them. Any extensions provided by the reseller are independent of Sapphire.
All replacement product may include new, reworked or refurbished product and parts.
Any repaired, replaced or exchanged products will be covered for the period of the original warranty.
Sapphire reserves the right to change this policy without advance notice.

trayton April 16, 2010 02:00 AM

What many people will do when being the second owner is make sure the first owner has receipt etc.. and then just have them RMA if there is an issue. That's pretty much the only way I do business just to be safe.

Flying Fish is correct though the only company offering transferable warranty to a 2nd owner is XFX.

rogueblade April 16, 2010 03:11 PM

Ughhh, that's so shi**y, I really want to buy a used sapphire 5870. Why won't they let you do it like Asus does?? All you need with an Asus card is the serial number

simsin August 24, 2011 11:22 PM

sorry to bring an old thread to life...

but i have the exact same situation... i found a guy with 2 x sapphire 5870 and im curious if there is a way i could take advantage of the remainder of the warranty?

Also what should i look for when buying a used gpu... i realize the guy probably OC'ed them... therefor how safe is it?

PS: if it matters i am considering this vs a 6950 toxic from sapphire 2gb (which is supposedely unlockable, has a bios switch)

thanks guys

SugarJ August 25, 2011 12:13 AM

AFAIK, the only cards with a transferable warranty are XFX. So, if the seller says he will help with any future RMA, take it at face value. If he has lots of positive rep, might be worth it.

simsin August 25, 2011 12:20 PM

2 x 5870 or 1 x 6950?

I came about 2 sapphire 5870 cards for an attractive price. a little bit more then the 6950
I will be using the cards in my new gaming pc for mainly gaming and a while idle for bitmining...

Is it better to get 2 used 5870s or 1 of the newer 6950s?

thanks

slippy1010 September 5, 2011 11:22 AM

I bought a second hand Sapphire HD 6850 from ebay, which was only 3 months old.
I emailed Sapphire about transferring the warranty, all I had to do was take a photo of the gfx card & serial number and it was transferred over.

simsin September 10, 2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippy1010 (Post 546875)
I bought a second hand Sapphire HD 6850 from ebay, which was only 3 months old.
I emailed Sapphire about transferring the warranty, all I had to do was take a photo of the gfx card & serial number and it was transferred over.

thanks bro!
Appreciate the feedback, even though i just got myself an asus 6950 2gb. But i might need to buy another for crossfire down the line and this info could come in handy!