Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default XFX HD 5870 Query

Hey guys.....well still on the fence with my next GPU upgrade....can someone explain the difference (other than Serial #'s and price) of these 2 XFX Cards?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...anufacture=XFX

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...anufacture=XFX

Cheers

btw...the top Card I listed is in Stock @ DC for $400.....started to lean towards 2 of these instead of 2 x 470's.........

Here it is $405...seems like a pretty good deal no?
XFX Radeon HD 5870 HD587XZNFC 850MHZ 1GB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card - DirectCanada

Sorry...know nothing about the "Red Side".....do like the looks of the performance though in XFire, especially the cooler Temps and less noise then 480's....after Tri Sli 280's I don't think I'm nto battling heat with SLi 480's.......just for higher Benches....for gaming...a couple of 5870's could be the answer...

Last edited by rjbarker; April 14, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old April 14, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your first link (ZNF9) uses the reference heatsink. The second one (ZNFC) is different. Other than that, I don't think there's any difference.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

yeah, the ZNFC is actually a cost down non-reference board. i think PCB is a different color as well as the DVI connectors. stuff like software voltage control through Afterburner won't work on the ZNFC.

the non-ZNFC is reference and going to be a slightly better build quality, plus will work with voltage adjustments via Afterburner and the like. most GPU's come out with non-reference designs a while after reference cards to bring production costs down, cost-down models are common practice. HTH
Old April 14, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh yeah ok I see..one has the Fa at the back...one in the middle......hhhmmm....wonder which one provides best thermals...better OC's etc etc...

Yeah ok thanks 3oh.....explains slightly cheaper price but probably more explains why its available and the other isn't...

Old April 14, 2010, 08:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There have been problems with non-reference XFX cards in the past. I suggest that you stick to the reference design.
Old April 14, 2010, 08:33 PM

yeah, by the nature of a 'cost-down' model, it should be "worse" than the reference design. the whole point of it is that it is cheaper to produce.

with that said, it may be not too cheap that any performance or stability or thermals are lost? one of those things that i don't think can be answered definitively IMO.

for the extra $20 or whatever it is, i say stick to reference, we know they are good.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

3oh6 do Afterburner work with all reference designs?

Did you try this last week?

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card - EAH5870/2DIS/1GD5/V2 In Canada.

Last edited by r0bc; April 14, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old April 14, 2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
3oh6 do Afterburner work with all reference designs?
yes AB will work with all reference design cards
Old April 14, 2010, 11:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I didn't get the 480 I ordered.
I'm considering getting a 5870 for my new machine if I don't receive it this week but can't decide what one, really like the look of the Asus V2 but its non reference and if non reference isn't as good .......

Old April 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most of my graphics cards have been XfX, and from my experience all the really cheap out on is the pcb.
You can tell by the pics that they used a different circuit board material and that they don't have a backplate heatspreader. However, since it's a 5870 and a really big card, I'd go with the reference model. I had a 8600gt's pcb warp after about 2 years of usage due to the cheap circuit board they used. (stock cooler was the only thing weighing it down and it was a short card)
All that said, I have XfX as my first choice, simply for warranty reasons. (yes, I do use my cards for longer than 3 years)