Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2010, 01:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Comment Thread for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 SLI Review

With NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 470 cards slowly marching towards broad availability, more and more consumers are looking for the possibility of pairing up two of these cards for a somewhat affordable DX11 SLI system. In this review we take a look at the performance offered by a pair of these cards and how they compare against the best that ATI has to offer.

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread for all your questions and comments. Please keep flaming to a minimum.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ This is exactly what I've been waiting to see.....thanks a ton!!

Old April 14, 2010, 01:59 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

As far as I know, we are one of the only sites to request an additional GTX 470 instead of another GTX 480.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
MVP

Well, I have to admit, the 470s sure seem to beat out the 5850s in terms of dual-GPU performance. Of course, it'll run almost 20 degrees hotter and use over 100W more power, but who's counting?
Old April 14, 2010, 02:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh, I was wondering how long it would take for the obligatory oven comment. Less than an hour, apparently. :)
Old April 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have to admit that I'm impressed with the performance of the green team. And although this is far too little, far too late for me to be interested in going this route; decent competition always helps the consumer in the end. Is it worth an extra $80+ per card though...? Certainly not to me, but to each their own.

Excellent review! And very nice to see the SLI 470's. Of course it's nice to see the numbers of the biggest and best, but reality is that there will be far more people going this route.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review once again.

My personal opinion: If I had to choose between 5850's CF or 470's SLI, the 100$ difference would be worth it and i'dd just grab 2 5850's. If someone is folding/ using physX or CUDA, well obviously the 470's sli would cut it.There are (nearly) no real situation in games where the 470's are giving playable framerates while the 5850's don't.. my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I have to admit that I'm impressed with the performance of the green team. And although this is far too little, far too late for me to be interested in going this route; decent competition always helps the consumer in the end. Is it worth an extra $80+ per card though...? Certainly not to me, but to each their own.

Excellent review! And very nice to see the SLI 470's. Of course it's nice to see the numbers of the biggest and best, but reality is that there will be far more people going this route.
gtx 470 : $380 at NCIX
5850: $330.
(well, those are XFX and EVGA.. that's what i'dd buy -.-)
Old April 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think drivers may help a bit. I was under the impression that Nvidia scaled better than ATI! ATI sure pulled a shocker there.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
There are (nearly) no real situation in games where the 470's are giving playable framerates while the 5850's don't.. my 2 cents.
I could say the same about my GTX 260 Core 216 @ 1920X1200, but that didn't stop me from getting the GTX 470.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:14 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting. i was expecting a bit more oomph over the 5850cf as its been seen around that fermi does better in sli than ati's parts in xfire..

also,interesting, is the temperature part.

grammaticals look ok.