Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
If the Nvidia fermi's have been in development/production for the last 4-5 months why would the drivers be immature? I know that Fermi's development has been difficult so the normal process of driver development does not apply. Wouldn't the driver teams have more time to prepare for the product release. There would not be as much room for improvement in drivers as is customary with Nvidia's products. If these assumptions are true then the article's statement that drivers would improve performance significantly over time may not be accurate. I do not know the development process well enough to make any conclusion. What do you think SKYMTL?
Every card is in developement for months. Fermi is no different. They need a large group of people to properly test drivers anyways, which is not possible in a lab environment I would think.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The main issue is QA testing along with competitive analysis testing. Which would you put first: actually getting SLI to work properly in a newer game or getting SLI to beat the competition? Getting it to work comes before fine tuning it during the competitive analysis phase.

From what I understand, NVIDIA's folks have had working samples of the retail-destined cards for a bit less than 4 months. That doesn't give them much time for getting working SLI profiles for new, old and upcoming games in addition to ensuring adequate performance in single card situations.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review. I still will not buy any of the new Nvidia cards though. This is a fast card card...period. It is also a borked card...period. The ATI cards are what I would call a well thought out and well executed product. The Nvidia product is a "we have no choice...but not to worry...they will buy it" product. I like to think I do my little part for the environment, nothing big....just little things. If I can get about the same performance for less watts...I'll do it, not to mention cheaper to.
And before some idiot says it...ya...global warming is just a hoax. All the wierd weather that has been happening is just a normal cycle.....and it might all be true...it might not. Ask yourself a question. Would you sooner try to help the environment and have it turn out to be a non issue...or say screw it and have all the warnings turn out to be right? I'm 45...I probably have 20-30 years to deal with it. I'm sure there are people in this forum who will need to deal with it for 40-50 years....your choice...2x AA..help the environment...4x AA and say to hell with it. I just hope the slightly less noticeable jagged lines are worth it.
ya...it's a rant....but what the hell...no one cares anyway.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Scaling's not too great at the moment by the looks of it, drivers should be able to fix that though. is it just me are are the first 2 graphs labeled wrong for aliens vs predators? the 5870 and 5850 crossfire fail but the single cards don't. http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...470_SLI-31.jpg like here for example, or is crossfire just messed up on AVP?
*insert mandatory heat bucket joke here*

Old April 15, 2010, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Without offering up a FPS graph it's rather hard to ascertain what if any effect the stated minimum frame rate will have, if it's a one time drop or a continual occurance.

I notice you don't always link to the comment thread, in this case you have which i appreciate, don't know if there is special criteria or people are just remiss at times.

Thanks for your continued contibutions, you almost always have something interesting to read, i really like the SSD reviews lately, as i have taken an interest in this aspect of computing.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGle1337 View Post
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...470_SLI-31.jpg like here for example, or is crossfire just messed up on AVP?
*insert mandatory heat bucket joke here*
Multi card solutions all seem to have some sort of issue in AvP. Supposedly there are problems with the game engine.
Old April 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone else notice the Zotac 470's are showing in stock at NCIX? There's a whopping 5 of them left.
Old April 15, 2010, 02:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

There are a few Evga 470s at Canada Computers in the Toronto area, and Asus 470s at Infonec.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

NCIX also have 9 Nvidia GTX470's in the new arrivals section.

Old April 15, 2010, 02:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And some 480's too, I see now. I wonder why those don't come up when you do a GTX 4?0 search on their site.