Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2010, 03:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I own 2 Powercolor PCS+ 5850, one i paid 310$ the other 295$ (last week). So far i'am getting max temp of about 65C and nearly silent system because of the custom cooling.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't want to against Nvidia, but those results I found two things that go really against Nvidia. First is the load temps on the card, they certainly heated up, and the fact that a 470 SLI takes over 100w more juice than the 5850 crossfire, and about 40 from the 4870 crossfire. Apart from that, there was pretty good numbers put by the GTX 470 SLI. Although I also thought that drivers maybe an issue.

Nonetheless, thanks for the comparison review SKY, excellent work. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
Top Prospect

Good review. But I feel like you do like nVidia a lot in the review SKYMTL.

Correction at the end (conclusion): ''wins performance wins'' to be corrected
EDIT* : it's in the last phrase.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC0g View Post
Good review. But I feel like you do like nVidia a lot in the review SKYMTL.
ORLY?

Quote:
However, the facts are quite clear: in general, ATI’s cards offer better multi GPU scaling than anything NVIDIA can currently offer.
Quote:
ATI threw a live hand grenade into the SLI party by posting performance increases that were simply jaw-dropping in nearly every respect.
Quote:
Unfortunately, that didn’t happen so as it stands we feel that spending $700 for two GTX 470 cards is a hard sell when you can buy a similarly performing solution from ATI for more than $100 less.
Quote:
It is quite evident that while the GTX 470 is a clear winner against a single HD 5850, SLI is currently struggling to mirror the downright amazing scaling that Crossfire offers.
Quote:
but the HD 5850 in Crossfire is simply too close for comfort in most cases.
Man, I must be missing something......
Old April 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
It is quite evident that while the GTX 470 is a clear winner against a single HD 5850, SLI is currently struggling to mirror the downright amazing scaling that Crossfire offers.
That's a tough sell...

Overall great review, I would love to see where new drivers take this card.
Old April 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Same here. Nvidia probably didn't put as much time in SLI and more on just getting the cards out. So in a few months I wonder if things will be different as ATI is pretty much at their top and can't really gain any more as far as drivers go.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 14, 2010, 06:46 PM
Banned
F@H

with the current cards? nope. when the hybrids come out? well well well :)

lots of promises. nothing so earth shattering like what comes after that(1-2 years?) but still an improvement, there is talk of...

im all for performance per watt per dollar per coolness!
Old April 14, 2010, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Default A question about the driver development

If the Nvidia fermi's have been in development/production for the last 4-5 months why would the drivers be immature? I know that Fermi's development has been difficult so the normal process of driver development does not apply. Wouldn't the driver teams have more time to prepare for the product release. There would not be as much room for improvement in drivers as is customary with Nvidia's products. If these assumptions are true then the article's statement that drivers would improve performance significantly over time may not be accurate. I do not know the development process well enough to make any conclusion. What do you think SKYMTL?
Old April 14, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
If the Nvidia fermi's have been in development/production for the last 4-5 months why would the drivers be immature? I know that Fermi's development has been difficult so the normal process of driver development does not apply. Wouldn't the driver teams have more time to prepare for the product release. There would not be as much room for improvement in drivers as is customary with Nvidia's products. If these assumptions are true then the article's statement that drivers would improve performance significantly over time may not be accurate. I do not know the development process well enough to make any conclusion. What do you think SKYMTL?
I would assume that driver development with a finished, retail product is much different than driver development through the development of the card itself. I'd imagine Nvidia had most of their resources pooled just to getting Fermi on the scene, whereas now driver development can receive better attention. Of course I could be completely wrong, but that's what I'd guess is the case.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Absolutely....Drivers are always slow n quirky upon a new release Card and generally take a few months of tweaking, from what I have see....