Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default SKYMTL, can you please comment???

Hi SKYMTL and fellow members,

I woud really appreciate SKYMTL, and everybody else to comment on this news I came across...on TECHARP.

Is this an April fool's day thing?

ATI To Fix Poor Tessellation Performance
Tech ARP - ATI To Fix Poor Tessellation Performance

quote:
Quote:
Tech ARP : Haha... But let's be honest - the GeForce GTX 480 is more than just a little faster than the Radeon HD 5870. It's twice as fast at tessellation, and that's supposed to be ATI's pet feature!
ATI : You believe the drivel they write in their PR slides? Then you must be one of those Sarah Palin tea party nutcases. Doesn't matter anyway. It's only temporary.
Tech ARP : Why temporary? You can't be planning to launch a new series of graphics cards so soon.
ATI : No, but we will be fixing the tessellation performance real soon. You can count on a 3x increase in performance in the next Catalyst driver.
Tech ARP : How is that possible?
ATI : Simple. To reduce power and temperature, we turned off most of the tessellators in the Radeons. Why turn them all on when there are no games using tessellation? Remember - ATI loves polar bears. We will just fire them up in the next version of the Catalyst driver.
Humm...could it even be possible that ATI HAD that kind of card up it`s sleeve?
Seems a little too good to be true. How COULD a driver re-enable some de-activated functions of the cards? It would be something that an "eventual" BIOS flash COULD do if possible...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 2, 2010, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, this is clearly an april fools joke
Old April 2, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would not expect and sort of response from SKY on this one...........
Old April 2, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

no dude, there's been a few sources on the net stating that ATI/AMD cards oddly have had some features disabled across their line up. It was guessed via BIOS dumps that they were indeed extra tessel units, possibly made as a buffer in case of poor silicon yields or for future use such as this. A few places stated that driver inefficiencies might have led ATI/AMD to keep the units off for the time being, indeed to prevent overheating and etc.

The units could possibly be switched on via drivers if they're software activated.. if ATI/AMD have sorted out driver issues, then why not activate them?
Old April 2, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Please note that I'm the one that made the Aprils fool's assumption (to be on the safe side). The article came out before April 1st.

SKYMTL or other HWC admin can scrap the topic if that's just a tactic from TECHARP to get traffic on their site (another assumption)
We're talking about the Cypress architecture here. Is there anything disabled in the Cypress core that we know about?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 2, 2010, 08:08 AM
Banned
F@H

wait youre implying that tha 5xxx line has disabled features? hmmm.....time for some googling, pre april
Old April 2, 2010, 08:12 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Definitely interesting if its true. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get a response from Skymtl before Monday, as I believe he is away currently for the long weekend.
Old April 2, 2010, 08:28 AM
Banned
F@H

hmmmmmmmmmm...altough its rumoured the next cards from ati will be of a mixed kind, some old tried and true components with some new ones....and the 'fiasco' by tmsc or however you spell it is to blame(dont buy it but who knows)
Old April 2, 2010, 08:50 AM
Associate Review Editor

Of course it's an April Fools joke.

The whole chat log is a riddled with jokes.
Old April 2, 2010, 08:54 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Of course it's an April Fools joke.

The whole chat log is a riddled with jokes.
If they were lying that much about this then ATI/AMD would step in to stop it. Putting words in a company's mouth is probably a very, very bad idea.