Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Using 6 projectors with Eyefinity

So, reviews are out for the 5870 Eyefinity 6 cards. It has some value if you mix work and gaming with two separate 3x1 display groups, but it is quite clear that even with bezel correction, a 3x2 setup just doesn't work well for games. Crosshairs getting lost behind the bezels or everything just looks messy.

But! How awesome would it be to pair an E6 card in CF and then feed the signal into 6 projectors? Why? No bezels! 3840 x 5760 into a 100" space would be sort of fun, wouldn't it?

Really, actually, the card seems worthless. 4K monitors (40963072) are on their way and I bet you that one of those would be cheaper than a hexa-projector setup (the idea is to eliminate bezels). I read that the guy behind Eyefinity 6 at ATI is looking to start the beginnings of the holodeck, but the whole idea seems silly.

Anyone excited by the idea of an E6 card? Anyone else confused why ATI is in fact selling this card? Like I said, it could have some value as a work/game card, but I'm not convinced. It always just seemed like an interesting concept, not a consumer product.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:27 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Anyone excited by the idea of an E6 card? Anyone else confused why ATI is in fact selling this card? Like I said, it could have some value as a work/game card, but I'm not convinced. It always just seemed like an interesting concept, not a consumer product.
Excited? Yes! I'd love to try 5x1 portrait someday (i just said so on another thread, lol).
ATI is selling this card for a few reasons IMO: 1- to appeal to the cost-is-no-object gamers, 2- to compete (perhaps) with multi-headed workstation graphics cards.

Oh btw, 4k panels still need a LOT of graphics horsepower to make them work from what i've seen of early prototypes where i work. Along the lines of 4x dual-link dvi connections to run one 4k display. So the eyefinity6 could do a whole 4k display by itself and have enough extra for two side monitors as well, haha.

Maybe i'll try to get my grubby little hands on one someday and have atypical multi-panel "fun" with one, haha.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

maybe 3x2 monitor for FPS is not suitable.... but imagine playing SC2 on it....... you'll see the entire map on your monitor hahahah
Old March 31, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

6 projectures would be epic. If projectures weren't so expensive to get good colour quality it would be awesome. Hmm is a years wage worth it :p ?

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 31, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cost is no option gamers should buy a "5990".... if you can afford 6 screens, you can afford one of the 5970 E6 cards.

Gaming at super high 19x10 = gaming at high/medium high with 3 monitors > gaming at low with 6 monitors.