Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2010, 07:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default PhysX and Gaming

I'm pretty unfamiliar with nVidia's products, so I thought I'd brush up on them a bit and ran across lots of comments talking about PhysX. I'm still not quite sure what the big deal is over other Physics engines etc. Does anyone have any good links or explanations for what the big deal is regarding PhysX (or is it more hype?)

For example, I have a 4890 and am playing Dragon Age, max settings etc. If jumped to team green and played the game (since it can take advantage of PhysX), what's the difference I'll notice? Just speed and framerates or would enemies fall, move, etc differently.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. This is definitely a subject I need to admit ignorance on.
Old March 29, 2010, 07:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

In a nutshell, you gain more realism in the game. Increased particles, effects and things like that. PhysX built into the cards allows developers to include more complex calculations to be executed on the GPU instead of the CPU (the GPU can do so many many times faster)

That being said, not every games have PhysX built into it, only a few titles (and hopefully more will come out in the future) support this feature.

Read this real quick: PHYSX
Old March 29, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most likely in game like dragon age you will notice some added texture...a good exemple here
YouTube - Mirrors Edge Nvidia Physx comparison
If you don't care about each single pointy details then Physx won't make a difference.

Personnally If you don't care about what I show you I would stay with the red side only because of color...I have use GTX260 4870 on the same computer this years and the difference was pretty big.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 29, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a comparison of PhysX on and off for Batman : AA

YouTube - FULL - GPU PhysX in Batman Arkham Asylum
Old March 29, 2010, 09:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks guys. I do have another question now though:

If you're running a ATI card, do games that have PhysX still allow you to have the flowing capes, drapes, particles etc, but they're handled by the CPU instead, or do you just miss out on them completely as they only appear if you're running an nVidia card?

Thanks again everyone
Old March 29, 2010, 09:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you put PhysX on CPU you'll hit hard your CPU. But a more elegant solution is a good ATI card for gaming and a cheap nVidia card for PhysX.
The only drawback is that you must search for some modified drivers for that because nVidia in their "wisdom" decided to not allow ATI for gaming and nVidia for PhysX. Probably they consider this situation humiliating for their cards.