Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2007, 11:22 PM
Top Prospect

Default Has anyone tried Xfire + Physics Card...3x pci-e cards.

Like this...

Seems friggin crazy. I just read a few articles on it and it seems crazy...oops I know what will happen now. Someone will post telling me to ' jus git too 8800 gtx d00d! ATi Suxors' Yeah I know they suxorz but I'm an idiot.

Ok now that's established. Has anyone tried this or can show me an article where it was tried cause to have one gpu dedicated to drawing the backgrounds seems to me like it would free up a lot of cycles...Also seems like there are more things that can go wrong as well...

Anyone?
Old October 24, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Like this...

Seems friggin crazy. I just read a few articles on it and it seems crazy...oops I know what will happen now. Someone will post telling me to ' jus git too 8800 gtx d00d! ATi Suxors' Yeah I know they suxorz but I'm an idiot.

Ok now that's established. Has anyone tried this or can show me an article where it was tried cause to have one gpu dedicated to drawing the backgrounds seems to me like it would free up a lot of cycles...Also seems like there are more things that can go wrong as well...

Anyone?
physics cards are too overated and useless at this point in time.
Old October 24, 2007, 11:57 PM
Banned
F@H

Howdy! I run dual 2900XT's as well as an Ageia Phys-X card...I have tried to get three graphics cards going, however this is not currently supported by any released driver.

The nVidia camp has Tri-Sli "waiting in the wings"...I got a chance to have dinner with some of the nV folk this summer...it's coming whether we like it or not!

All that being said, I currently run a 30-inch Dell monitor, and have no issues with any games @ 2560x1600 us ing a single card, as long as no AA is used. Some titles can use 2xAA, but anything more than that currently adds such a performance hit to make most titles unplayable. So, I had thought two cards woudl be ebough...but the performance tanks to below singlecard...

7.10 was like a ray of sunshine to this gloomy story...Crossfire is finally beginning to work for some titles. Unforunately I can do nothing but wait for proper support for the rest of my game library.
Old October 25, 2007, 12:14 AM
Top Prospect

So cadaveca, you're saying that Crossfire in and of itself doesn't work properly yet?

I have read quite a few articles when they are doing reviews and most are saying that they are getting noticeable results when adding a second card for crossfire over running just one...

I'm not disagreeing with you at all with what your saying, what do you have to gain by that. I want to understand is all as I finished reading the white paper at Ati on this but as we all know what it says on the drawing card and applying things practically are often two different things.

I run a 22" Monitor and was planning on going Crossfire right away but maybe I will buy one card for now and add another down the road if need be.

The physics thing is a no go all together? I wanted to try one Gpu and one physics card. That is no good
It sounds very good in theory though.

Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone been able to get this to work as of yet?

EDIT - Have you tried to see if one card and the physics card would work?
Old October 25, 2007, 01:06 AM
Banned
F@H

Crossfire on 2900XT's, no, does not work quite right yet. And forget about Vista and Crossfire...My X1900's and X1950's work jsut fine in Crossfire in XP, not Vista, but they are not quite enough to push 2560x1600 in some titles. I mean really, if AA was needed so bad, I suppose I could use the X1950's for gaming, as they would probably be about the same as a single 2900XT(I'm stuck with one while one is out for RMA), but the X1950's are far better used running FAH.

In regard to the Physics card...no gpu works yet, and teh games that do use the Physics card do so very poorly....GRAW2 makes some good se of it, but only for one level. I have not quite notice alot of difference in UT3 either.

Physics card and single VGA lower than 8800GTX or Ultra's or HD2900XT's is foolish...as the card adds only visual effect ATM, using the Phys-X only adds to the workload done by the gpu, and very poorly, at that. However, the cards I mentioned, seem to perform ok with the phys-X. In my situation, with a high res monitor, only a dual-gpu solution works well with Phys-X.

Last edited by cadaveca; October 25, 2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old November 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
Top Prospect

Hrm this would be very cool if they could get it to work properly. It'd be in their best interest as well seeing as every gamer/enthusiast would be buying two and three cards instead of one or two...Now they are talking about using three and four card Sli and xfire setups. I wonder if these physics cards will be playing a part into that or if the physics end of it was just a failed experiment that they are moving on from...when I say 'they' I am referring to the gpu industry as a whole.