Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Vertical Placement's effect on Vapor-X (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/30334-vertical-placements-effect-vapor-x.html)

FreeKnight March 26, 2010 07:37 PM

Vertical Placement's effect on Vapor-X

Just had an odd thought and wanted to et some feedback from the community;
I'm sure that a lot of you guys have read about the Vapor-X cooling Sapphire uses in some of their cards and the excellent cooling it has. This is designed with a conventional orientation in mind.

Using a case like a Silverstone Raven where the card sits vertically, do you think this would negatively affect the cooling performance of the card? Enough to make it perform at about the same rate as a generic card?

If I can get my hands on another case I'll try to do some testing, but would be interested to know if anyone has tested.

AmuseMe March 29, 2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeKnight (Post 354581)
Just had an odd thought and wanted to et some feedback from the community;
I'm sure that a lot of you guys have read about the Vapor-X cooling Sapphire uses in some of their cards and the excellent cooling it has. This is designed with a conventional orientation in mind.

Using a case like a Silverstone Raven where the card sits vertically, do you think this would negatively affect the cooling performance of the card? Enough to make it perform at about the same rate as a generic card?

If I can get my hands on another case I'll try to do some testing, but would be interested to know if anyone has tested.

Im doing a build with a 5850 TOXIC, and should have it ready to go on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll do some testing with the case (RV02) on its side so the card is horizontal, and than do another test with it flipped.

JD March 29, 2010 07:12 PM

I doubt it. With those triple 180mm fans at the bottom blowing cold air up and over everything, temperatures should be fine.

Also I don't really believe any sort of heatpipe setup used in computers is really a true setup. I don't think they contain enough liquid to actually assist in cooling capacity. I believe one site actually cut open a bunch of heatpipes only to find that most had no liquid at all.

FreeKnight March 29, 2010 07:29 PM

Thanks AmuseMe, I'm looking forward to the results. One of the downsides to working out of town is I'm only by my computer about two days a month, so experimentation is limited lol.

Jdrom; I meant more in vertical alignment in general and just used the raven as an example (as it's the only one I know offhand). Obviously the ravens have great cooling so it shouldn't be an issue, but in a case with less airflow and vertical alignment negate some of the benefits of vapor-x? If you're right about the minimal liquid in the heatpipes, it probably won't change too much. Given the noticeably better cooling in the Vapor-Xs they've gotta have at least enough liquid to put a decent amount of vapor in the heatpipes though .... or so I suspect :D

JD March 30, 2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeKnight (Post 356059)
Thanks AmuseMe, I'm looking forward to the results. One of the downsides to working out of town is I'm only by my computer about two days a month, so experimentation is limited lol.

Jdrom; I meant more in vertical alignment in general and just used the raven as an example (as it's the only one I know offhand). Obviously the ravens have great cooling so it shouldn't be an issue, but in a case with less airflow and vertical alignment negate some of the benefits of vapor-x? If you're right about the minimal liquid in the heatpipes, it probably won't change too much. Given the noticeably better cooling in the Vapor-Xs they've gotta have at least enough liquid to put a decent amount of vapor in the heatpipes though .... or so I suspect :D

Ah I see. Well there aren't too many other cases like that are there? I think the only way to design a vertical layout is to have a bunch of fans at the bottom.

Guess we'll know more when somebody tries it out