Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 02:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So 13 degrees is the difference between perfection and a oven.
6 months ago when we were using 4870x2's and 275's these temps weren't a problem and are still not for alot of people.

Old March 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
6 months ago when we were using 4870x2's and 275's these temps weren't a problem and are still not for alot of people.
Exactly that's why I don't get the people who are surprised by this. My 275s have hit 97 degrees in SLI I've never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraitoR View Post

I hope I have better things to do with my time when I'm 40.

Old March 30, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post

this made me spill milk out my nose, and i wasnt even drinking milk.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old March 30, 2010, 03:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideeffect View Post
Pre-orders dont make up real cards. You can be pre-ordering for months while prices are steadily rising. The ATI cards were also listed at their MSRP at launch and many people got them for that price including myself.
You just made my point since many people are will be getting the GTX 480 and GTX 470 for exactly the price stated in the review.

Quote:
You still didn't properly explain why you compared a retail price against a MSRP price when both MSRP prices were available. Or why you listed an average of the 5800 series prices when the cheapest price was a fair bit cheaper yet your willing to except the Nvidia MSRP as the actual price and you ignore all the higher prices.
Again: average prices were used simply because the lowest prices involved limited time sales. NVIDIA's MSRPs are being respected for the most part. I see no issue with this.

Quote:
You were also advising people that the 470 was better performance per dollar even after the NDA was lifted and a quick check on any e-tailer showed otherwise.
From what I see:

HD 5850 @ $299
GTX 470 @ $350

GTX 470 still beats the HD 5850 in price / performance when it comes to situations where it will be used: AA enabled, 1920 or 1680 resolution.

Quote:
Heat reduces the longevity of components. The thermal limit of the card is 105 degrees. The card has been shown to run brand new at 96 degrees under load outside of a case without overclocking. Overclocking increased the temperature to over 100 degrees.
No. Overclocking will increase the FAN SPEED. Plus, there is a HUGE difference between "thermal limit" and Thermal THRESHOLD which is what the 105C refers to. Plus, we are not even talking about overclocking here.

Quote:
Take into consideration variations in climate from different users around the world, dust accumulating on the fans over time, standard users not providing adequate case cooling, standard users overclocking because they always do.
Fan speed increase = automatic. Again, I see no issue with this. The same can and will happen with the HD 5970 in that case.

Quote:
The truth is Nvidia overclocked this architecture themselves to the values they needed to gain a performance lead. No manaufacturer would intentionally design a piece of equipment to run so close to its thermal limits.
They "overclocked the architecture"? What in the world are you talking about? It naturally runs hot. If you don't like that, keep your ATI card and stop finding reasons to justify your purchase even after a faster card is released.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Tesla cards are different than the normal cards, they are 512SP's and have ECC memory, among other things.
Wrong. ECC memory doesn't remove heat and can be placed with the exact same traces as standard GDDR5. Plus, with the Tesla cards sporting additional cores (supposedly) that would mean they would output more heat on a clock per clock basis. Thanks again for making my point for me.
Old March 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Wrong. ECC memory doesn't remove heat and can be placed with the exact same traces as standard GDDR5. Plus, with the Tesla cards sporting additional cores (supposedly) that would mean they would output more heat on a clock per clock basis. Thanks again for making my point for me.
I'm not arguing the heat issue but Tesla is a different chip itself from what an interview with a Nvidia rep I read says. It has additional GPGPU elements... but that's a totally different discussion in itself, and yes it does prove your point even more.

That whole "heat death" thing is so ridiculous, the chip will not just sit and let itself cook just because it is hotter than the fan can handle at 60/70%...

And Sky, any comment on whether or not ATI throttles FurMark? I have been reading that in a few places.
Old March 30, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Good read, a stellar review job as always, Sky. Hasn't sold me on one of these cards, but definitely interesting to finally the beast in action. Maybe in the future, once Nvidia gets a card out with all 512 cores enabled. If I'm going to upgrade, it's going to be all the way.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
Exactly that's why I don't get the people who are surprised by this. My 275s have hit 97 degrees in SLI I've never had a problem.

I hope I have better things to do with my time when I'm 40.
Maybe you will loosen up by the time you're 40... kid. I saw these posted elsewhere and thought they were funny, this isn't life or death shit here you no.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc

Yep a lot of folks making a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to heat!!
My Tri Sli GTX 280's cranked out at 83c - 85c at full gaming load with Fan Speed at 80%.....never a problem with them, running Furmark would get to around 93c....no big deal as these GPU's are designed to operate at high Temps...everybody was freaking out about Temps whn the GTX 280's first released......turn up your Fan Speed for crying out loud!

My GTX 260M in my Asus Notebook loads at 93c and idles at 58c.....no problems at all.......

Stick to a 9600 GT if you want cool......heat is part n parcel with high end performance.

Sky: Just confirm....when you were running th GPU "looping" you were using "Auto Fan Speed" correct? If so, installing Precision and setting up some Load Profiles would likely pull that 95c down to around 85c which is completely respectable,,,

Also, who the heck plays Furmark??......Thiers a Temp Delta of about 12c with Crysis under full load vs Furmark Bench.

Last edited by rjbarker; March 30, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
Maybe you will loosen up by the time you're 40... kid. I saw these posted elsewhere and thought they were funny, this isn't life or death shit here you no.
I just find it lame... grandpa. Kinda wanted HWC to have a good serious discussion about the cards but I had to get else where this time. Disappointing. Anyways I'm done with this!

edit

Really I didn't mean to be disrespectful so I apologize about that. Just like I said I wanted to actually talk realistically about the cards and not some silly overblown crap.

Last edited by FtGF; March 30, 2010 at 07:05 PM.