Old March 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

PNY: Lifetime
EVGA: Lifetime
Zotac: Lifetime

ASUS: 3-years
Gigabyte: 3-years (sort of)
MSI: 3-years (sort of)

Why exactly would a company shorten their warranty length now that the GTX 400 series has arrived?
Old March 30, 2010, 11:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
MSRP is MSRP. Some retailers choose to follow it while others don't. As such, any changes made by a few retailers based on pre-sale pricing will never be factored into the review.
Ah? I was asking because you wrote that you took the average price form a dozen different retailers, so I wanted to know if there's a good place to shop around. I tend to prefer to buy locally and avoid getting shipment from the US to avoid custom problems and warranty hassle.

In the end, we pay the price asked, not MSRP.
Old March 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
MSRP is MSRP. Some retailers choose to follow it while others don't. As such, any changes made by a few retailers based on pre-sale pricing will never be factored into the review.
Oh come on. You should have used the MSRP of the 5850 then as the price is higher due to availability still and it was actually cheaper at launch. Using an average retailer price for 1 card and the MSRP for the competitor isn't really fair in the current situation. Both companies have limited availability due to TSMC.

They are shortening the warranty because they all know that any card that runs that hot will not last and they don't want to lose lots of money replacing expensive hardware.
Old March 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Can you tell me how SKYMTL was supposed to predict the e-tailers pricing on the pre-order cards BEFORE the launch? When they are all under NDA? He used the information he had available during the writing of the review.
Old March 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Can you tell me how SKYMTL was supposed to predict the e-tailers pricing on the pre-order cards BEFORE the launch? When they are all under NDA? He used the information he had available during the writing of the review.
The MSRP of the 5800 series has been known for 6 months. The limited release availability of the fermi series has been known for months. The 40nm problems at TSMC has been know about for even longer. The price rises due to availability have been known about for 5 months. The question is how could he not know.
Old March 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideeffect View Post
They are shortening the warranty because they all know that any card that runs that hot will not last and they don't want to lose lots of money replacing expensive hardware.
They are not shortening the warranty.
Old March 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
The MSRP of the 5800 series has been known for 6 months. The limited release availability of the fermi series has been known for months. The 40nm problems at TSMC has been know about for even longer. The price rises due to availability have been known about for 5 months. The question is how could he not know.
That is a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of pre-order cards out there which are retailing for exactly the MSRP NVIDIA stated. Yes, some are higher but who the heck cares? It's a free market so you can just take your business elsewhere and it would have zero impact upon your purchase or bank account.

Quote:
You seriously think that? Give me a break.

If you think for a second that the cores and the components on the cards weren't designed for high performance computing at these temps, you would be sadly mistaken. These things are designed to at 96C+++ temperatures in Tesla blades 24/7/365 with next to no PCB or core revisions from that you can buy at retail.

EVERY board partner has maintained their quotas when it comes to warranty length on these cards. EVERY....ONE.
Old March 30, 2010, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Old March 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
That is a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of pre-order cards out there which are retailing for exactly the MSRP NVIDIA stated. Yes, some are higher but who the heck cares? It's a free market so you can just take your business elsewhere and it would have zero impact upon your purchase or bank account.
Pre-orders dont make up real cards. You can be pre-ordering for months while prices are steadily rising. The ATI cards were also listed at their MSRP at launch and many people got them for that price including myself.

I think you'll find consumers will care if the prices are higher.

You still didn't properly explain why you compared a retail price against a MSRP price when both MSRP prices were available. Or why you listed an average of the 5800 series prices when the cheapest price was a fair bit cheaper yet your willing to except the Nvidia MSRP as the actual price and you ignore all the higher prices.

You were also advising people that the 470 was better performance per dollar even after the NDA was lifted and a quick check on any e-tailer showed otherwise. That was the only reason I even bought this all up.

Quote:
You seriously think that? Give me a break.

If you think for a second that the cores and the components on the cards weren't designed for high performance computing at these temps, you would be sadly mistaken. These things are designed to at 96C+++ temperatures in Tesla blades 24/7/365 with next to no PCB or core revisions from that you can buy at retail.

EVERY board partner has maintained their quotas when it comes to warranty length on these cards. EVERY....ONE.
Heat reduces the longevity of components. The thermal limit of the card is 105 degrees. The card has been shown to run brand new at 96 degrees under load outside of a case without overclocking. Overclocking increased the temperature to over 100 degrees.

Take into consideration variations in climate from different users around the world, dust accumulating on the fans over time, standard users not providing adequate case cooling, standard users overclocking because they always do.

Were not talking about a temperature controlled clean room environment here with a system that has been designed and built by an engineer and is running at stock speeds as is the case in your Tesla blade example.

The truth is Nvidia overclocked this architecture themselves to the values they needed to gain a performance lead. No manaufacturer would intentionally design a piece of equipment to run so close to its thermal limits. If you went into any overclocking forum in the world and said you had overclocked your card and it was running at 95 degrees and the thermal limits were 105 degrees you would get either laughed at or have 100 warning posts telling you to improve cooling or reduce clocks quickly.

Last edited by sideeffect; March 30, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Tesla cards are different than the normal cards, they are 512SP's and have ECC memory, among other things.

Quote:
Oh come on. You should have used the MSRP of the 5850 then as the price is higher due to availability still and it was actually cheaper at launch. Using an average retailer price for 1 card and the MSRP for the competitor isn't really fair in the current situation. Both companies have limited availability due to TSMC.
The MSRP of the 5850 has risen, not just retailer prices.