Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Robc: Don't really get your assessment. There are obvious fanbois and then there are ppl who are trying to be objective. Some ppl are labelling other for simply not being overly impressed with the test results of these new cards.
Old March 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wembler View Post
I didnt know it was rumored to be a dual GPU. That is good to know - thanks!
TBH I am NOT the expert on GPUs. SKYMTL is.
I've read so many conflicting rumors on the upcoming ati refresh it aint funny. Im looking forward to what ATI does as it should in theory push some of their other cards down in price...and put pressure on NV to release more than just the 470 and 480.

Till then rumors are great things....but its all just rumors till it gets released (hell assuming it DOES get released!)

With that being said, Im a mid tier kind of guy when it comes to GPUs (id rather spend my money on SSDs :)~ ) so IF/when the mid tier kit current gen get more reasonable I'll be a happy camper.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Im looking forward to what ATI does as it should in theory push some of their other cards down in price...and put pressure on NV to release more than just the 470 and 480.
Agree! That is really my point of view as well.
Old March 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
Banned
F@H

wait wasnt the 5890 supposed to be a single gpu board unit? dual gpu we have 5970
Old March 28, 2010, 01:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've stayed out of this conversation for a while simply because some of the comments boggle my mind. For the vast majority of the time over the next few days, I won't be commenting in this thread or in the other GTX 480 threads simply because I believe these products have brought out the worst in everyone. Period.

If you have any questions pertaining to the review itself, I will answer them. I refuse to get involved in this childish bickering.

There are however a few things that should be stated:

A) The GTX 480 accomplished a ~15% increase over the HD 5870. Ok, great. But we have to remember it did this with 480 out of 512 shaders enabled and seriously gimped GDDR5 memory (which is actually rated to run at 4Ghz by the way).

B) Yes, it does run hot and take gobs of power. Don't act like that surprises you. It was known form the start.

C) The 15% performance increase is based off of the combination of DX9 / DX10 AND DX11 games. If you single out DX11 performance at the resolutions most people play at (1680 and 1920) the GTX 480 simply eats the HD 5870 alive, especially when it comes to minimum framerates. Seriously, what fool buys a DX11 card and cares about DX9 performance when 99.99% of today's $200 GPUs don't have an issue in DX9 High Quality?

D) If you have a HD 5870, you shouldn't upgrade to a GTX 480 unless you don't like money.

E) The vast majority of other sites have proven that they don't have a clue how to properly benchmark DX11 some games. VERY specific config file changes have to be done in DiRT 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in order to use DX11 mode and not have drivers allow for DX9 mode rendering. I don't know why this is but the issues are everywhere and are quite glaring.

F) Getting burned by the top heatsink on a GTX 480 hurts like hell
Old March 28, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
wait wasnt the 5890 supposed to be a single gpu board unit? dual gpu we have 5970

An earlier rumor I heard was they were boosting it from a single to a dual, while cutting the mhz of them thus making it a cut down duelly. Another one said it was going to be a super-clocked single gpu card to regain the single gpu crown from NV. Who knows! Kinda fun reading all the speculation though. :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
C) The 15% performance increase is based off of the combination of DX9 / DX10 AND DX11 games. If you single out DX11 performance at the resolutions most people play at (1680 and 1920) the GTX 480 simply eats the HD 5870 alive, especially when it comes to minimum framerates. Seriously, what fool buys a DX11 card and cares about DX9 performance when 99.99% of today's $200 GPUs don't have an issue in DX9 High Quality?
That was the point of my previous Post....and in some cases the 470 finished ahead of the 5870 at that same Res.....

Old March 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
F) Getting burned by the top heatsink on a GTX 480 hurts like hell
I thought I smelled bacon.......
Old March 28, 2010, 02:24 PM
Banned
F@H

the drivers taking over in rendering dx9 instead of dx11 is quite interesting. care,at a later date, expand a bit brother sky? you could prove a few other reviews quite wrong percentages wise if it were the case indeed...:)
Old March 28, 2010, 02:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I've stayed out of this conversation for a while simply because some of the comments boggle my mind. For the vast majority of the time over the next few days, I won't be commenting in this thread or in the other GTX 480 threads simply because I believe these products have brought out the worst in everyone. Period.
No shit...... I watch the news every day and can never figure why there is so much hate in the world but then theirs a video card launch and it all makes sense