Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
Why would you be relieved?
because I bought 2 5850's asap after release..its always a slap in the face when you spend 600+ and have it be put to absolute shame next release.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

TBH it would have been a crying shame if ATI had been delivered a "knock out blow" by NV. Competition is good.

As for the hype....I got to hand it to NV's PR dept, they did such a great job that Im sure even Steve Jobs is jealous. :)~

Just wish ATI's PR dept were even HALF as good and not the "phoning it in" variety they seem to be.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Whats wrong with you guys you're happy that these cards weren't awesome? Stupid. Seems like it's more a money issue with you guys. Too bad.

Old March 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm with AKG competition is good.
Too many times Nvidia had no real competition in gaming and its good that they do.
Its good for all of us. Not only for prices, but good competition drives great development (at least if the company has any pride and I believe both do in this case)
Old March 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hell the 480 & 470 ARE awesome cards (I hope the 460 is great too!). I just like it when the competition isn't ground into the dust so the NEXT gen is even more awesome. To me its kinda like watching two hungry grizzly bears fighting over who gets to eat ya: you hope neither win and ALL their attention is on the other bear and not you. :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
well, lets talk about the triple monitor setup
nvidia needs 2 cards to do this.
Why triple if they can't handle two in desktop?

Name:  dual.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  105.9 KB
Old March 28, 2010, 11:25 AM
Banned
F@H

well when ati came out with the 2900...power figures, temps..werent exactly good either lol..and performance? hmmmmmmmm
Old March 28, 2010, 11:31 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well when ati came out with the 2900...power figures, temps..werent exactly good either lol..and performance? hmmmmmmmm
So what? I think everyone pretty much agrees that the 2000 series sucked. ATI certainly didn't get any praise from me when they released it. But that was three years ago, and has nothing to do with this.
Old March 28, 2010, 11:36 AM
Banned
F@H

trying to get the flop accross. every company does one. how long did it take ati to make it work? how long will it take nv to make it work? work as in successfully taking care of noted issues :)
Old March 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Great review - thanks a ton Sky. I'd love to see some dual/triple SLI numbers for the 470 and if you have an asbestos testbed for the 480 as well. Just be sure to alert your local power company so they can be ready to compensate. I may not ever be able to run such a setup as I live in B.C. and would run the risk of having the heat signature picked up by the R.C.M.P. chopper's F.L.I.R. leading to a kicking in of my door looking for a grow-op. Nvidia really missed the boat with marketing though - for anyone who has ever baked a card to reflow the solder joints it is a great feature that this card will reflow every time you play Crysis. (MAXIMUM HEAT)

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw 5.25" bay GPU power supplies popping up again. This would be a good time for em IMO.

BTW, Great thread as well - thanks to everyone who contributed. (blatant fanboi-ism not withstanding - yes, you Markone ATIone Trollone w/e ).

P.S. Somebody PM me when GTX 485 is released.

P.P.S. Skymtl - you really should have used this pic on the first page:

Edit: Thought I'd add a link to an interesting article by TPU demonstrating GTX480 performance with 16x/8x/4x PCIe 2.0 lanes.

techPowerUp :: GeForce GTX 480 PCI-Express Scaling Review :: Page 1 / 25

~2% hit from 16x to 8x and ~8% on 4x! A lot less than I expected on 4x.

Last edited by J_M; March 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM.