Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Absolutely without a doubt.....gamers vs benchers.....folks that will play hours of gamsand those looking for that additional 100 pts in Vantage...hence Quad SLI 295's... ;)
Old March 28, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Actually you obviously clearly missed the "riced up" part of the analogy. As in a racer / gearhead / car enthusiast took a fuel efficient car and boosted the snot out of it so it could be used for racing. Just like ATI has taken their previous 4x gen boosted it, tweaked it and called it a 5x. Both are race cars. Many automotive enthusiasts spend HOURS debating the merits of "rice rockets" vs "lead sleds". Both tackle the problem of going FAST! NOW! differently then the other. Both have their own strenghs and weaknesses....just like ATI and NV have their strong points. Guess you arent a car guy. Sorry.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Actually you obviously clearly missed the "riced up" part of the analogy. As in a racer / gearhead / car enthusiast took a fuel efficient car and boosted the snot out of it so it could be used for racing. Just like ATI has taken their previous 4x gen boosted it, tweaked it and called it a 5x. Both are race cars. Many automotive enthusiasts spend HOURS debating the merits of "rice rockets" vs "lead sleds". Both tackle the problem of going FAST! NOW! differently then the other. Both have their own strenghs and weaknesses....just like ATI and NV have their strong points. Guess you arent a car guy. Sorry.

are you trying to tell me that a guy who loves american muscle cars would even consider a honda?

I am not disapointed. I was worried about these cards coming out. I didn't wanna have to consider a new mobo and cards..I'm glad at this performance..I just thought it would be better with all the talk of "Fermi" for so long..I really expected ATI to be handed they're ass...they got beat, but they really weren't handed they're ass.
I'm not trying to change anyones mind, just my thoughts.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
are you trying to tell me that a guy who loves american muscle cars would even consider a honda?
Are YOU telling me a guy who loves ATI would even consider a NV card?

Fanbois are fanboir no matter what they "love".

To be honest. The last time I can rember ATI or NV handing the other a pure ass whooping from one gen to another was the NV 5 series fiasco. Usually though, we see incremental changes. This like I said is a good thing. Keeps both making enough money to continue the battle w/out ever being "full".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hell ya, I know lots of guys who switch back and forth all the time.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The problem is some of these people some how got it in there head that these cards would be something miraculous in performance. Who cares make no mistake these cards are faster and like I mentioned before to segments of the market like me, power consumption and heat mean nothing it's all about raw power. Same with my car I have a four banger that uses more gas then most sixes and I love it.

Old March 28, 2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
hell ya, I know lots of guys who switch back and forth all the time.
And I know lots of guys who wouldnt touch the "other" with a ten foot pole. Whats your point?

Old March 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

no point. I find it interesting that my thoughts on it were so controversial. I was never trying to change anyone's mind, I was just stating what I thought.
And what was said above is probably true, all the talk over the last 9 months had hyped it up so much I expected a lot more. I was relieved :)
I can't wait to see the numbers 6 months from now and I also can't wait to see ATI's refresh release.
I love this stuff.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
no point. I find it interesting that my thoughts on it were so controversial. I was never trying to change anyone's mind, I was just stating what I thought.
And what was said above is probably true, all the talk over the last 9 months had hyped it up so much I expected a lot more. I was relieved :)
I can't wait to see the numbers 6 months from now and I also can't wait to see ATI's refresh release.
I love this stuff.
Why would you be relieved?

Old March 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nvidia could never really kick ATI's ass, ATI has a huge profit margin for 58xx and they could drop prices like there is no tomorrow...