Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If i had the spare time and well equipment resources i could probably attempt to rig something up that would allow you to directly measure the power used by the cards rather then the entire system since all you would need to do is somehow be able to measure the voltage drop or current use off of the power rails to the card (as well as the resistance if one can only measure the voltage or current usage) and then run it through through ohms law to give you the effective power usage
Old March 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If anyone knows their electrical engineering well enough to build us something to measure direct power from the cards, let me know.
Why not just modify a pcie riser card and increase the height of the retention bracket for that slot on your test bed?
Old March 27, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But if the card is getting that hot that loud and have a such high TDP...is she really interesting in folding??? personnaly I think no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Not sure what to think of this:
AnandTech: NVIDIA?s GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470: 6 Months Late, Was It Worth the Wait?

Anandtech says that the 480 will deliver 3.5X the performance of a 285...thats 25-30K easy, a small difference from the ~15K Legit Reviews. They use this graph to determine the 3.5x number:

Never saw 'nodes per day' before, but food for thought for the folders. To be clear, I seriously doubt 3.5x performance.....

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 27, 2010, 12:00 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
If anyone knows their electrical engineering well enough to build us something to measure direct power from the cards, let me know.

pops an electrical engineer..not sure how much time hes got in his hands tough.

or....how about using a mobo with onboard graphics. take the desktop reading while on onboard , then drop the card in and take another reading, then load f@h or furmark on it and see what gives difference wise at the socket or where you check it(at the ups?).
Old March 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Why not just modify a pcie riser card and increase the height of the retention bracket for that slot on your test bed?
A PCI-E riser still allows power to be pulled through it. It is very easy to measure the power from the PSU by the use of a clamp meter but how do you measure the power going through the riser card?
Old March 27, 2010, 12:09 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
A PCI-E riser still allows power to be pulled through it. It is very easy to measure the power from the PSU by the use of a clamp meter but how do you measure the power going through the riser card?
Break the traces in between the ends of the riser perhaps? its only two-sided (not multi-layered) so it is possible.
Old March 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
Banned
F@H

forget about the riser card. use onboard for desktop display, then drop the whatever card in and check again. easy way out.
Old March 27, 2010, 12:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
forget about the riser card. use onboard for desktop display, then drop the whatever card in and check again. easy way out.
The CPU, memory, HDD, etc. will influence the outcome. The whole point behind the exercise would be to isolate the GPU's power signature.
Old March 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As i'd mentioned in my PM to you, if i knew the electrical characteristics of what a 6-pin and 8-pin connectors are suppose to deliver (ideal) i could figure out a circuit/connection method to hook up multimeters and use Ohms law to find out the power consumption
Old March 27, 2010, 12:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
The CPU, memory, HDD, etc. will influence the outcome. The whole point behind the exercise would be to isolate the GPU's power signature.
ok like dropping the video card in a machine specially made for that, like a memory tester for rams?